50tlr 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50tlr 2006

Me again!!! Just when i thought all was well I checked my lower unit oil and saw some water in it. Upon draining it i got maybe 1 ounce of water and the rest was blurry oil. I took my prop off and no twine was found so i am thinking its my upper seals. I am going to change my upper seals first and go from there.
    I have my lower unit off and drained. I have my water pump off and it looks great. I am down to what this part site is calling "cover oil seal", 1)how do i remove this? Seems really tight, I tried to remove it and didn't want to bugger it up so i figured i would ask.
    The next item under this is what this site is calling a "Housing water pump", Is this correct? and i assume it pulls off as well. Just kinda figured the water pump housing held the impeller and was above all this and already removed with the metal cup.

I appreciate the help and thank you.

why not pressure test to see where the leak is before digging too deep.

Yamaha service manual should help with any maintenance you will do

Comment

????

ok my manual has been ordered, ETA Thursday.

Pressure testing the lower unit? How? I was thinking of filling with kerosine and putting an air hose with a rubber tip and applying air pressure?? How many lbs?? But i dunno, show me the way ole mighty one!!!

And once i am through pressuring up the lower unit i was going to shake my lower unit and clean the inside with the kerosine.

I appreciate the info.

Comment

Originally posted by 19capehorn View Post
        ok my manual has been ordered, ETA Thursday.

Pressure testing the lower unit? How? I was thinking of filling with kerosine and putting an air hose with a rubber tip and applying air pressure?? How many lbs?? But i dunno, show me the way ole mighty one!!!

And once i am through pressuring up the lower unit i was going to shake my lower unit and clean the inside with the kerosine.

I appreciate the info.
        Manual should give all steps and I am sure it does not include solvent just air, usually with a hand held pump/vacuum device.
        Use soap mix to squirt around the different areas and look for bubbles.

Not sure what PSI they recommend but is is not much.

Looked up for my motor and it is 14.2 PSI and hold for 10 seconds
        Last edited by 99yam40; 03-27-2013, 06:08 PM.

Comment

It could be something as simple as the drain and vent plug gaskets/washers need replacement...that would be simple and cheap.

Comment

Ok i will wait and see what my manual says, i hope it comes in today. Meanwhile i had googled it and saw all kinds of ways to test it and what psi to use. And yes Robert upon draining my foot i notice my gasket on my lower screw did not look right, (bugger up) or should i say i am going to replace it. That would be sweeet if it was the case. I will post back next week after i see what i see.

Thanks people.

Comment

Yamaha recommends replacing the gaskets on the screws each time they are removed

Comment

Working...
              X