X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to add-a-battery

Hello,
    I want to add a second battery to my 2004 130 HP 2-stroke
    I plan on getting a Blue Sea add a battery •Dual Circuit Plus™ Battery Switch

Should I get the 65 amp or the 120 amp ?

In other words how many amps is the engine putting out?

Thanks,

output?
    maybe 15 at wide open throttle.
    however it may take a bit more to start.

Comment

Ok, maybe I asked this wrong. The blue sea mini has an automatic charging relay.
      It manages the charging current from alternators up to 65 Amps.
      So my question is how many amps does the alternator put out? Will the mini relay handle it?

Comment

yes it will handle it,
        as Rodbolt17 stated output of charging system on a outboard is low

But inboard motors with alternators like the ones in cars and trucks put out a lot more amps

Something to think about and research is a lot of these Yamaha motors come with a charging circuit for an extra battery, just need to find if yours has it and hook it up, but depending on what you are trying to do with this extra battery that may not do everything you want
        Last edited by 99yam40; 03-24-2013, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Very interesting I will have to research that.
          I am not extremely mechanically inclined, so I am limited to what I am willing to undertake.

The boat doesn't have an on-off switch, so I want to add one of those.
          And I like to run a lot of lights and live well etc. ( and I have a few extra batteries that are new) so I want to set up two batteries so I can keep the house seperate from the starting battery.

Comment

you will find most of the VSR relay type switchs wont work satifactorily with that outboards charging system.
            at wide open throttle, top engine RPM, that system only puts out about 16 amps.
            the VSR will drop about 1 volt all by itself.

a battery switch is always a good thing.
            when you wire it add the wire for the automatic bilge/switch to the batt side of the switch.
            dont wanna turn that off when its sitting.

Comment

Ok, been busy.
              rodbolt.. I called Yamaha. They said the engine puts out 20 amps.

99yam,,, The guy I spoke to on the phone said NO Yamaha motors come with a charging circuit for an extra battery.

I'm just saying what this guy said.

Trust me I know less than nothing.

But back to my original question. If the engine puts out 20 amps is that enough to use the VCR?
              Or am I just wasting money,, and should just go with a dual battery switch and run one battery one day, and the other battery the next day??

Comment

54Hornet

There are many additional things you need to consider......
                Yes the 20 amp charging capacity of your motor with it's 14.8 Volts or LESS will easily charge a second battery so long as you are not drawing lots of current while underway.
                That said -
                What kind of batteries are you talking about?
                AGM, Flooded wet cell, starting, deep cycle, Marine/RV, etc..........
                They ALL require somewhat different charging parameters, unless you want to buy batteries every year or two.
                How do you plan on monitoring the SOC of the batteries?
                If two different types as in Starting and deep cycle a BtoB charging system such as Minn Kota or Sterling Power systems is recommended, only down side they cost $200 + for a good unit. The BtoB chargers do multistage charging at the proper voltages for the specififc battery type. You might want to check out a simple Voltage Con*****ed Relay (VCR) which is OK much of time. They range typically less than $75.00.

The last thing you want to do is have a simple switch that opens before it closes the secondary contact you will fry the very crude Yamaha charging system.
                Retired and Loving Life

Comment

Took a look at the Blue Seas SI-ACR
                  Yes it will work, However for me it looks like a bit of an overkill for a 20amp charging system
                  Retired and Loving Life

Comment

I was looking at the "BlueSea mini add a battery.
                    It's rated 65 amps.

As far as what I have,,
                    The boats starting battery. And I would like to add a deep cycle (565 cranking amps??)
                    Only because I have 3 of these one year old from the boat a tree landed on.

Basically I will be running radio, Chart plotter /finder, running lights, a few led lights,
                    And 2 or 3 Bait pumps. (these are 3-4 amps each)

Mostly I ***** sometimes anchor.

I just have a paranoia about going to star engine and having a dead battery
                    Or,,,, I could just run the pumps seperately on the deep cycle and charge it when I get home.
                    Or just the 1-2 both switch.
                    ???

Comment

From my POV that thing looks expensive for a simple switch that will require manual intervention thus a huge chance of error as in dead batteries.

Take a look see at this one - better price and fully automatic - even better works as they claim

Sure Power Battery Separator - (part#: 1315) ~ All Battery Sales and Service

Me I would move most of the loads over to the Deep Cycle Battery and install a good volt meter that can read the status of either battery from the dash

I guess you are using the Yamaha for *****ing without a electric *****ing motor. If you go electric a good BtoB sterling Power or similiar 12 to 24 Volt charger works GREAT I have two of them
                      Retired and Loving Life

Comment

I like the looks and the price of the Sure Power seperator.
                        (sounds like a vcr to me ) (but I know nothin)

With the sure power, could I use a simple single On-Off switch?
                        I already have one of those from the boat that got squished.
                        (I always forget to shut something off,, like the gas guage is on a switch,,, not much but all week sitting and drawing on the battery isn't good.)

Yes, I will be putting around *****ing on the big engine this year.
                        Maybe Santa will bring me a Minn Kota saltwater with i-link :-) then I can plug it into my Humminbird.

Comment

p.s.

Is the Sure Power Battery Separator rated for marine enviroment??

Comment

Not sure about the marine rating of the unit - suggest you install it out of any possibility of getting wet or damp and check with them. Many possibilities with remote switches download the manual

Yes it is a simple VCR but priced right for a 100 amp device. I've installed a few in Motor homes over the years

Santa was good to me a while back
                            Minn Kota Terrova with I-Pilot linked to my bow mount Hummingbird
                            They are wonderful however charging the battery bank becomes more of an issue
                            Retired and Loving Life

Comment

we can stop some of the BS now.
                              NO AGM, NO maint free, NO dry cell.
                              your yamaha contact is whack whack and WRONG.

going back to your system output, you will find its not strong enough to trigger a VSR at normal speeds.

I know we have an electriycyal anganeer on this.
                              I work with what they deezzign.
                              it wont do it from a field,practicle standpoint.
                              it will however work on paper.

no shot at the anganeer, just I have had to deal with anganeers,my late father included, for over 35 years.

most anganeers,mechanical,civil or electrical are simply over educated to the point they cant repair what they designed.

however if you question them, you are relegated to the dark streets of hades.

your system puts puts out about 16 amps at wide open throttle and the battery asking for a full load.

remember a VSR OR a battery isolator is gonna grab a bit just to opererate.

and remember, if your a hammer everythging else is a nail.

but I am just a tech with a few schools here and there, some civilian some Navy, but I have done this about 40 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X