Empty Carburator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Empty Carburator

2001 F25ELHZ. Had the engine in for water pump replacement. The mechanic run the engine to make sure all was in order, he run the engine till it run out of gas. When I picked up the boat I trailer ed for about 4 miles. Two of which were on the highway. Did I cause any damage to the carburetor? I thought it's a NO NO to two an engine on the boat without gas in the carburetor. I am splashing the boat for the season tomorrow, any info appreciated.

No...I tow mine plenty of times after draining carbs...wonder where anyone even came up with this idea???

Comment

heard it on the internet.
      a french thing?

Comment

Empty carb floats will bang around possibly changing float setting. It would likely take a long bumpy ride to cause it though. I had a fully bluprinted Quadrajet carb (Super Stock) shipped from Texas to MD and and it didn't run right. Took it apart and the float level was off. The guy insisted that it was right when it left Texas. Box was pretty beat up (thanks to USPS parcel post) so probably took a beating.
        On the other hand all carbs are shipped without any packing or anything holding the floats, right? So who knows.....

Comment

Maybe a carb shipped Fedex, UPS, USPS, etc. where it gets banged and tumbled around, but on a boat/trailer, don't seem likely to me. But if a guy was really worried about it, then use the primer bulb to pump carb float chambers full for trailering?...simple enough for peace of mind!

Comment

Yea! the internet guys. More specifically this forum, which I might add has been of great help to me. Thanks for the replies. Indeed, I always trailer the boat/motor with the carb full of gas. This one time I forgot to prime gas in the carburetor. It may seem/sound funny, but then again 11 years without a carb cleaning or any fuel related problems, to me, means I have been doing somethings right. All because of the good advise I have been getting from this very forum, which, after all is part of the internet. Thanks again for all the help over the years.

Comment

Working...
            X