Lower unit noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower unit noise

I certainaly dont call myself a mechanic, but have spun a wrench a time or two, have lots of time on my hands. Just rebuilt my water pump on my 1998 TLRX Yamaha, my first time doing this. Before adding the lower unit oil and starting I turned the prop clockwise and heard a loud clicking noise somewhat like the lower unit teeth gears were rubbing on each other and not catching. When I turn it counter close wise the gears seem to engage. Is the lower unit somehow in reverse? If so any suggestions what I did wrong and how to fix it???? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by skeeterlagoonlost; 03-20-2013, 03:15 PM.

Did not post whole model # so we do not know what motor you have.

Did you have remote control in neutral while this is happening?
    Will it shift at all into neutral or other gears

you could have shift out of alignment,may need to drop it again and make sure lower unit and shifter are in same position as you put it back together.

Comment

Sorry about the missing info. It is a 1999 C90 LTRX model. I have removed the lower unit again and turned the shift lever slightly clockwise and the prop now turns freely. So I am thinking that it is now in neutral. I will reinstall this morning, add oil and start, then wet test. Thanks for your info and help. Hope it is fixed.

Comment

Working...
      X