225 Upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 225 Upgrade?

Hi..I currently have the smaller block OX66 200hp motor and was thinking about upgrading to the larger block F225 or OX66 225, will the performance difference be significant with either motor or would it almost be a waste of time and money?
    I like the F225 but heard that I could actually lose some performance, but much quieter and efficient of course.
    The boat is a Cobia 211Bay rated for a 225, so I guess a 250 is out
    thank you in advance

Im not sure bout the 4 strokes, but as far as i know the larger bore 225 and 250`s have a lower gear ratio, better for low end/torque but not necessarily top end....and be prepared for the fuel increase.Id go with a bracket and twin 115/ 130`s

Comment

RT,
      I don't have any experience with any of the motors you refer to - but from what I have read about the 4-stroke vs. the 2-stroke, hp vs. hp, the 4s will give you much quieter and efficient operation, but not the performance.
      Increasing hp from 200 to 225 - you will see some increase in performance in the 2s, but not the 4s (but better fuel economy).
      You should be able to get some performance bulletins either from Yamaha or Cobia with the motors you are interested in.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

Working...
      X