lower unit leaking out of top drain screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lower unit leaking out of top drain screw

2011 f150txr....I changed my lower unit lube as directed in the manual, came back to my boat 3 months later and found a stain running down the lower unit from the top drain screw....I used new gaskets....I snugged both screws being careful not to strip them...I actually re checked tightness and they were a little loose..I am thinking the new gaskets compressed a little over time...I opened the top drain screw and a gush of lube came out with a little burst of air.. after the pressure subsided..I re tightened the top drain screw and checked for leaks the next day....nothing.....I found this really odd... I was worried when I first noticed it that I stripped the drain screw...but they are fine.... I also pumped the lube in thru the bottom drain really slow in order to get all of the air out...anyone ever have this happen?

If oil smells burnt then may have a bearing going bad causing excess friction.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks, but the l/u lube was changed and the boat was stored for the winter....never ran it on the new l/u lube....I think it might have been from the sun warming the l/u and then getting cold at night...temperature fluctuations....of course, that is just a guess...

Comment

Working...
      X