Ethanol Blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethanol Blues

I am new to this forum so I`ll try to make it brief. I`m sure you have thousands of posts on carb problems from either letting the motor sit over the winter with old fuel or ethanol problems. I have an `01 60 HP with these symptoms. It runs about half power and I spent a bundle last year for someone else to clean the carbs. I figured I could do it myself but they are a little intimidating when you first look at them. Is there some type of cleaner that can be sprayed in the intake or do I just grit the teeth and start with the tear down?

its call start ya bastard Aussie made spray in to the chamber after removing the black cover in the back of the carb and start with running in full speed and spraying until it starts to stall leave it for a little while and start it again and run WOT this should fix your problem without the need to overall the carb

Comment

Best to clean your carbs, then prevention is the best policy regarding carb deposits...means clean, fresh, stabilized fuel all the time. Clean your filters, drain each carb float chamber a couple of times a year(especially at lengthy shut-downs). Seafoam and Stabil are good, available, well-accepted fuel stabilizers. Don't run any old, deteriorated gas through your motor...better to dispose of it than screw up your carbs and motor. There's nothing you can spray in the carb intake that will clean the jets. Good luck!

Comment

never spray anything into carb throats to try and clean the carbs, all that does is run into the crankcase and not into passages in carbs that are plugging.
        On a 2 stroke it will wash off the oil on bearings,cylinder walls, and all other shiny surfaces that need lubrication..

Pick up a Yamaha service manual for your motor and pull carbs and do the carb cleaning right

Comment

Ethanol Blues

OK i have one for spray and two for not spray. I have downloaded a service manual from the internet and have gone over the fuel section pretty closely. I take it the best thing is get a gasket kit and just wade into it. If this was a Tilloston on a Model A I would feel a lot better.

Comment

Ethanol Blues

In your experience, does the varnish collect in the fuel pump as well or is the main point the carb?

Comment

anywhere the fuel sits and evaporates it can leave residue.
              I have found stuff in carbs that looked like a small piece of plastic sheet plugging off main jet, my guess is it came from fuel line or pump.

I would take them apart and see what you need, as kits have stuff you do not always need and some do not come with stuff you do need

Comment

I am almost sure I will not need a complete carb kit since I had these carbs cleaned a little over a year ago so I'm just looking for a gasket kit. I went on the companion web site to this one (boats.net) and found the blown up diagram and the individual part no.s but no kit. Could anyone direct me to a gasket kit for these three carbs. Motor is a 60LTRA. The only other number on the name plate that might be the S/N is 6H2L478176R. Motor "family" is 2YMXM8491CA.

Comment

Working...
                X