Another overheating thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another overheating thread

It's 99 PX150tlrx. Ox 66. overheats at higher rpm 4000+. I go to change the water pump and the kit doesn't fit my lower unit, Come to find out the lower unit it different. Looks like it came from a DX150. Ordered that water pump kit and it fit perfectly, changed thermos. And went for a test ride today, still overheats. Water coming out of tell tale is not hot at all. Pee stream is ok Not as hard as some but better than a dribble. What should be my next step? Corrosion in the thermos didn't look that bad but who knows.

im probably going to get blasted for this, but check the pressure control valve, make sure the plunger is not stuck closed..

Comment

was the first impeller too big? if so your current one may not keep up when at higher speed. Is your test drive at WOT or close or more like 15 mph? This may help narrow my question.

Comment

Originally posted by 2strokesmoke View Post
        was the first impeller too big? if so your current one may not keep up when at higher speed. Is your test drive at WOT or close or more like 15 mph? This may help narrow my question.
        The impellors were the same. The base plates were different sizes. Ran fine until I pushed it up to over 4000

Comment

I ran into the same problem. My solution was to flush the engine to remove buildup. Here's the link to the thread.

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...g-th19434.html

Comment

Originally posted by CentralTexas View Post
            I ran into the same problem. My solution was to flush the engine to remove buildup. Here's the link to the thread.

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...g-th19434.html
            I will look that up thanks. Also I have heard of people cleaning out there water jackets themselves with on/off hull cleaner I'm not sure how involved that would be

Comment

you would be having a piece of rubber from the impeller stuck in the water ways that's what causing the overheating ,i would take the side plate off with care and clean the whole maze of channels that's in there and i suppose that will clear your overheating problem

Comment

Originally posted by madharchod View Post
                you would be having a piece of rubber from the impeller stuck in the water ways that's what causing the overheating ,i would take the side plate off with care and clean the whole maze of channels that's in there and i suppose that will clear your overheating problem
                what side plate are you refering to?

Comment

Working...
                X