Loss of Power Ethanol?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss of Power Ethanol?????

I ahve 2004 225; runs fine at idle and power less than 2700 RPM; once I go over at all the engine loses power and starts to die; when I lower the RPM she regains power fine and runs fine. HAve additive in; filters are fine except I can't open the High Pressure Filter becasue everytin I do I need to buy another one because it never seals back. Haven't changed VST filter.

Could this be a sensor shutting down the engine for lack of fuel?

Thanks for any input.

Don't know what motor you have so can't help much but probably need to clean VST and replace high pressure filters if has it and have fuel pressure tested.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

in other words, need a model number to figgure out which 04 225 model we are disscussing.

Comment

My apologies.

F225TXRD / 69J X 1014452 2004 Yamaha 4 stroke.

I've cleaned the HP filter on the top of the engine; but everytime I open the filter it pretty much is ruined because it won't go back together correctly. Any tips on how to "carefully" open it to clean the small cone filter inside.

I was told it might be a water issue or lack of fuel and the engine is going failsafe mode. Again, it runs perfect at <2700 RPM; as soon as I go over it loses power until I go below 2700 and then it runs fine again.

Thank you for any help on this.
        Warren

Comment

fuel pressure readings should tell where the problem is

Comment

Originally posted by weschott71 View Post
            My apologies.

F225TXRD / 69J X 1014452 2004 Yamaha 4 stroke.

I've cleaned the HP filter on the top of the engine; but everytime I open the filter it pretty much is ruined because it won't go back together correctly. Any tips on how to "carefully" open it to clean the small cone filter inside.

I was told it might be a water issue or lack of fuel and the engine is going failsafe mode. Again, it runs perfect at <2700 RPM; as soon as I go over it loses power until I go below 2700 and then it runs fine again.

Thank you for any help on this.
            Warren

My F150 engine fuel filter had a similar issue.

The clear plastic cup turned yellow and wouldn't seat fully in the top half. Apparently, the ethonol I was running expanded the cup just ever so slightly, enough that you couldn't force it into the seat... Yamaha replaced the cup under warranty, it fit together quite easily after that, with a nice tight seal. I quit using ethonol after that....

BTW, if the cup isn't fully seated, you'll have an air leak in the fuel system causing issues. Mine actually died while idling out of a canal.

IMO, get the known, basic problem fixed first..
            Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-11-2013, 08:44 PM.
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
            X