Stalling issue (please help)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalling issue (please help)

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and couldn't find any answers to my specific question through searches so here goes...

My motor (2002 Yamaha F60TLR, 4-stroke, outboard) starts up alright on a cold start -- that is, it takes a couple cranks but fires up fine. My starting procedure: I turn the key to "on" and pump the bulb 2-4 times until it's hard. Crank for five seconds max, rest 10 seconds, repeat.

After letting it warm up for a minute or two I put it into gear and it'll immediately stall out. Let me add that it idles fine, starting at about 1200 RPM until gradually dropping to the 800s.

It'll start right back up and after another try or two, it'll drop into gear fine and run perfectly for the rest of the day.

Compression is good, carbs seem fine, according to my neighbor mechanic. He thinks it might be a prime start problem but he is not sure because he couldn't get ahold of schematics for the motor.

Also, the boat had previously sat with a half tank of gas in a garage for 5 months and hasn't been ran a heckeva lot the past three years (I bought it a few weeks ago). Should there be some sort of "break-in" period? I've only ran it on the water twice so far.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Since it hasn't been used much and no telling how old gas actually is, probably need to drain gas tank, refill with fresh gas, may need to remove and clean and resynchronize carbs.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X