Yamaha Vmax ox66 Cold Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Vmax ox66 Cold Start

Was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction, I have an 03 Vmax ox66 200 (VX200TLRB) that has recently become hard to start when cold. It doesnt fire right up like an EFI should, but it will usually fire up on the second try. After that it is good to go the rest of the day. Just bump the key and its on. It also smokes very bad for the first 15 or 20 seconds even when warm, but it is at its worst when it is cold first start in the morning at the ramp. I have changed the low pressure fuel pumps, didnt see anything wrong with the old ones, but changed them anyway, new pumps made no improvement. Have new plugs on the way. Should I have 35psi at the shrader valve as soon as the key is on and the pump does its 5 second thing or after I have started the motor? Use Yamalube, and ringfree, recently changed to 100% gas no ethanol. Also cleaned the o2 sensor, and charged battery. Looking for some other possibilities if anybody has any?

O2 sensor is not used during cranking or engine temps below 113*F.
    could be a mis-adjusted oil pump on the smoke.
    yes at key on you should see 35 PSI for about 3 seconds and anytime the engine is running.

Comment

Rodbolt17, could you elaborate on what to check on the mis-adjusted oil pump?
      Thanks

Comment

Several posts about this. It is the gap between the pump lever and the stop. The threaded rod from the throttle body linkage to the pump is where the adjustment is made.
        1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
        1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

Working...
        X