X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamaha 115 CETO 2 stroke 2005 2 stroke oil level control

Hi folks
    New here, thanks for the oppourtunity.
    My mate's outboard is doing weird stuff.
    The oil low level alarm came on while he was flushing. Been going a charm since he bought it last year, engine mint, around 50 hours from new.

Checked engine mounted oil level and yes it was lo but still plenty to go.
    Checked main tank oil level , it was at 50 %.
    checked pump operation when using engine mounted toggle switch on oil level control unit , yes pump workls ok with switch to refill engine tank.
    why wasn't it filling engine mounted tank ?

Checked 3 float switches in engine mounted oil tank hi lo and alarm all passed ohm meter check and change state as I would expect

Checked main tank float switch with ohm meter at oil level control unit plug ok.

drained engine tank, alarm on no pump action.
    tried same again next day , still no action , getting ready to buy oil level control unit , here it's around US$650, bend over, no lube !!!

Thinking I'll make something with relays.
    Broke it to my mate, He decided to use the manual switch while he eases into the US$650
    Tried it again with engine oil tank at alarm level and after a few seconds the pump started as it should and stopped as it should.

tried it again several times and hasn't faulted.

Is there a particular sequence required to allow the oil control unit and pump to operate correctly that we have stumbled on with out knowing ?

Thanks for your help

Regards Don
    New Zealand

do you have the correct tachometer with the oil and temp visual indicators?

Comment

i can check. It has been going ok for a year.

Comment

trust me.
        there is a reason I am asking.
        its an incredibly simple system that still fails more master tech testee's than all other areas.

Comment

ok , standby

Comment

US Navy trained in "hurry up and wait".

Comment

Do you want yamaha speedo also ?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Pterodactyl; 03-14-2013, 07:45 PM. Reason: TMI

Comment

if transfer fails again pay careful attention to the 3 bars on the visual indicate.
                all three flashing indicates a problem,center flashing indicates a remote tank issue.
                far left flashing indicates no issue with the remote tank.

this system works almost identically to the V6 system.
                the US version incorperates a green/white wire from the oil control module to the CDI assy.
                the older versions used a mercury switch to stop transfer.
                the newer modules need to see a pulser coil signal to allow transfer.

Comment

Thanks Rod

It has operated without a hitch 6 x by draining the tank over last 2 days.
                  All of these tests key on engine not running. So I'd guess this model doesn't require the pulse train. This model's only connection to the cdi region is via a single seperate from the loom blue/ red that also connects to the red alarm reed switch.

Will observe indicator bars if fail in future.
                  It did fail continuosly during earlier tests even both engine and main tank reed / level switches operated correctly.

During this failing period the control unit failed a test matrix. fortunatly we hadn't ordered the US$650 unit !!
                  This is why I wondered if a sequence of power up and switch status is nessacary. locals here have spoken of the system getting out of sync.

As a point of note , the manual fill switch still drives the pump even when main tank float is in empty position.

Regards Don

note matrix should read K ohmm not Kwatt @20C
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Pterodactyl; 03-15-2013, 04:25 PM. Reason: ammendum

Comment

Working...
                  X