over heat alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• over heat alarm

Hi, I have twin 225 4 strokes on a center console and have had an overheat problem caused by a plastic bag finding it's way over the water intake. Because of ambient noise levels, wind, etc.,etc., I was not able to here the BEEP BEEP BEEP of the alarm provided by Yamaha. I have a very loud "alarm Horn" that I can hook up If I knew how, can anyone help me out with wireing ?
    Thanks, Dennis

They're pretty basic. Two wires. One hot, one ground. Just tap into each. I did it when I added an LED warning light that I placed near the temp gauge on my console. So if I couldn't hear the horn hopefully I'd see the red LED staring at me. You can test it when you're done by shorting the two temp sensor leads at the motor end together with the key on you should get an alarm.

Mike ........ Miami, FL

Comment

thanks for the reply, mike. Which two wires? I have the digital gauges. I guess I sound like a real dummy, thanks for the help.
      Denis

Comment

Dennis,
        I think I would follow Hamfisted's lead and install the LED. That "very loud alarm Horn" you have may be too big a load for the motor electronics to drive - and you might take a chance of damaging the motor warning signal source.
        You could get technical and install a "buffer driver" (a power transistor) between the signal source and the big horn - but the LED would be much simpler - just install it in parallel to the two existing wires that go to the original alarm horn - the LED should be marked "+" for 12 volt and "-" for ground (make sure you get an LED that is marked 12 volt) - use a voltmeter on the two wires that go to the horn to determine which is 12 volt and which is ground if the wires are not red and black.
        Install the LED on the console in a place where you check often, like the temp gauges or water pressure gauges.
        Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

I agree with Ken and Hamfisted the warning buzzer's are located on key switch panel, there will be 2 of them(one for each engine) you can connect an led to the yellow(12 volts with key on) and pink(overheat sensor lead)wire. You can relocate buzzer's to a different location or replace them with a louder buzzer as long as they dont pull more than 2 amps. Those engines should go into safe mode when alarm sounds, engines will drop to 2000 rpm's to let you know a warning alarm has been activated and if you have Yamaha multifunction gauges then the overheat light should come on overheat alarm is activated.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thank you bolth for your advice. From what you have said, I think that I will go with the red LED's I have been looking at wireing diagrams on Yamahas' web site, Now at the risk of sounding like a NEWBEE, (I have been around boats all my life), but not these high teck outboard models, I discovered that the "buzzer if mounted by the key switch, which is another reason that I cannot here it, It is somewhere between my knee and my waist.My original concern was that it was intergrated with the digital multi gauge, hence all the quedtions about which wires, etc.
            Thanks again for all the advice, and I wish everyone a Happy and Healthy New Year
            Dennis

Comment

Dennis,
              Welcome to the forum - and don't worry about sounding like a "newbie" - that's how you learn this stuff - by asking questions, even the simple ones.
              Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
              Ken K

Comment

Thanks for the support, Ken
                Dennis

Comment

Working...
                X