03 Yamaha f75tlrb - wont start & trim doesn't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 03 Yamaha f75tlrb - wont start & trim doesn't work

I had just loaded my 1860 war eagle aluminum boat on my trailer and everything was working fine. When I get to the top of the boat ramp I notice smoke coming from the top of my motor cowling and the smell of a electrical burning. I removed the cowl and notice the minimal smoke from the front of the engine. Unsure of exact location. After unable to see or determine and thing wrong...I replace the cowl and try to install the motor toter and realize the tilt/trim doesn't work on the motor or remote.

Any idea what the trouble is or how I can repair?

sounds like a regulator smoked.
    check the main fuse.
    before replacing the fuse make sure nothing is shorted,melted and if it was the regulator unplug it.
    typical cause for regulator smoke is loose/bad battery cable connections.

Comment

Replaced a 30a blown fuse and trim is working.

There is still smoke and burning smell coming from the top/front of the motor. Cannot seem the determine the location.

?????

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
        before replacing the fuse make sure nothing is shorted,melted and if it was the regulator unplug it.
        Did you do what Rod said?

Comment

Right below the CDI (black box) there is a metal looking thing with cooling fins facing you, that is the voltage regulator.....you can't tell from the front of it if it "gave up the ghost, i.e. SMOKED" but if you take it off and look at the backside you may find that it is charred.....

BTW, did you connect the battery and reverse the terminals by accident?

OR are you using wing nuts on your cranking battery?

Comment

I found the regulator and reconnected the battery cables. Within 20 seconds smoke began to appear from the back of the regulator. I then unplugged the red wire and the smoke stopped immediately. I've ordered my replacement regulator.

Thank you for the help!!!!

Hopefully nothing else is damaged. Just curious....can any damage occur if The motor is run without without a regulator?

Btw. I do not have wing nuts on any of my batteries.

I will follow up after the replacement.

Comment

Working...
            X