yamaha 115 starting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamaha 115 starting issue

Yamaha 115 1990 new plugs, new coils, rebuilt carbs, new fuel filter. When I turn it over, it fires just enough to disengage the starter and then shuts down. I typically have to use starting fluid to get it to run. It's fine when its hot. But once it cools down I have the same problem. Any suggestions? Fuel pump maybe?

make sure compression, spark, and timing are all in good.
    If they are the look into the fuel

Sounds like you have not cleaned and set carbs properly if all the rest is in spec

Comment

Could be a fuel pump. But I personally would look at you low speed jets. Sounds like debris has entered the jet. How many cylinders is this model 4? If so pull your bottom plug on the side the fuel pump sits. If its wet, your fuel pump is leaking directly into the block via a small pin hole or tear in your fuel pump diaphram. Good luck.

Comment

It can't be the fuel pump, since it runs ok when hot.
        Clean carbs and check pilot screws for proper adjustment. Do some visual check on your reed valves just in case you have a bent or broken one

Comment

leave the reed valves alone as well, for the same reason.
          a bad reed is a mechanical defect that will affect any and all engine running conditions.
          myself?
          I would try manually choking it.
          if that works better than check linkage and solinoid adjustments.
          the solinoid on the V4 has an adjustable pull.

Comment

Working...
          X