Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rebuild tilt assembly

Greetings!
    I need help with which parts I may need in order to rebuild my tilt assembly.
    When I release the tilt switch (down) the engine continues to fall.
    I assume the O rings (at least) need to be replaced, but in the components list it's difficult to tell what else I might need.
    Any help you may suggest will be much appreciated! Thanks!

1992 P150TLRQ Yamaha Outboard POWER TRIM TILT ASSEMBLY

Could be bad valves or valve seats, no way of knowing what parts it would need until you take apart and see whats bad.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

rebuild trim cylinder

Really? Valves & valve seats in the hydraulic cylinder of my trim/tilt assembly?
      I don't see valves listed on the parts schematic.

Comment

Silly me.......... my apologies, I just didn't look closely enuf!
        Thank you for your reply.

Comment

Dumb question?

I think I should have asked the question differently....
          What likely parts should I have on hand when I disassemble
          my tilt cylinder to repair it? ......... or is that a dumb question.

comp1 vs. comp2 ?

Comment

whats broke,other than my cystal ball?
            oh, and my magic wand is missing.
            with the engine tilted full up.
            when you start trimming down do the trim pins start retracting BEFORE the engine starts down?

Comment

RODBOLT......... You may have a broken crystal ball......(sorry), but
              it didn't stop you from asking the right question!
              YES, and it's a delay that wasn't happening before the problem started.
              The trim pins do in fact retract fully BEFORE the engine starts down.........
              I knew something was different in the cycle, and you nailed it precisely.
              I assume that action gives a clue as to why the engine continues to fall
              even after I release the "down" tilt switch.....?

Comment

thats what seperates the classroom master techs from field master techs.
                fix the tilt tube bushings and leave the the tilt unit alone.
                see how much money I just saved you?
                sometimes simply loosening the nut on the stbd side of the tube,lubricate the tube and it will work again.

Comment

Whodathunk?

Tilt tube bushings?....wooda never guessed!
                  I have no idea how bad tilt tube bushings could cause
                  the motor to continue to drop once the tilt (down) switch had been released.......(as if the hydraulics leaked or had failed) or how bad bushings could cause the trim pins to retract prior to the engine starting down.... but you obviously know... so I'm gonna go with that remedy.
                  Thank you for your knowledge, and for taking the time
                  to reply to my inquiry....very kind indeed.

Comment

its because as the trim rams retract the bushings are so tight the weight of the gearcase wont pull itself down.
                    once the pins are fully retracted the hydraulic pressure on the top of the tilt ram forces it to start down.
                    as its coming down the fulcrum point changes and the prop end gets heavier.
                    so now you let go of the button.
                    now as it continues to drift down the tilt piston pushes fluid into the trim chambers and as the pins come back up the unit continues down until it its the pins,typically.
                    its a problem that almost all brands suffer in saltwater areas.

Comment

Trim tube bushings

Well, I took a peak at the trim tube and found one of the bushings broken, it has slid to the center of the tube. So... in replacing them I am able to remove the trim tube, but not the steering cable (which runs through the tube). I can not replace the bushing until I figure out how to remove the cable end from the tilt tube! HELP!
                      Thanks

Comment

disconnect all steering linkage at motor and then undue the nut where the cable meets the tube and pull the cable and rod out of tube

Comment

tilt tube

Thank you for your reply.

I already tried that, but disconnecting the linkage and nut, then turning the steering wheel fully to port or starboard doesn't retract the cable from the tube at all, and the cable & housing is much to stiff to be able to bend in an
                          effort to pull it from the tube.
                          I guess I'll have to go to the steering wheel and see if I can disconnect the cable at that point and pull, but that was something I was trying to avoid due
                          to access issues, and not sure it will work anyway, but it's my next dreaded move.....

Comment

If you do not have the room to pull the cable out because of the way the cable is run out of the transom then the motor may have to be lifted from boat so the cable can be pulled out. Disconnecting the other end will not help

Comment

tilt tube

Yup........ was on that while your were suggesting it!
                              I indeed had to lift the motor.

Thanks for the help......this forum is da bomb!

Comment

Working...
                              X