Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using newest Yamaha Digital Tach with older harness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using newest Yamaha Digital Tach with older harness?

I have the latest generation Yamaha digital tach multi-meter with one 4-pin male plug. The pink & gray wires were not inserted into the plug when received. I understand that the gray wire (with attached pin & o-rings) should be inserted in pin 1 & the pink in pin 2 - is this correct. When looking at the plug how can I identify the positions of pin #'s 1,2,3 & 4?

I am using this meter on a 2006 F50TLR but I want to use my older harness (already installed) that has a male and female square 4-pin plug on each end of the harness. I understand I will only use one female plug to the gauge and one male plug to the engine and the other plugs will not be used for this application - is this correct?

Once the wires are inserted into the plugs is it possible to remove them? I know they lock into place when fully inserted and the double o-rings make a waterproof connection. Is there a special tool to use to remove wires from a male or female plug or can I use a small screwdriver or other tool?

My gauge did not come with a wiring diagram or instructions. Can you provide a link or pdf for these?

Thank you....

if it's a 2006 F50 then will only have one square connector at engine, if has two then would be 2004 or older then can use a 6Y5-85335-10-00 adapter harness at engine to make new single lead tach work.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by stevecapeh View Post
      I have the latest generation Yamaha digital tach multi-meter with one 4-pin male plug. The pink & gray wires were not inserted into the plug when received. I understand that the gray wire (with attached pin & o-rings) should be inserted in pin 1 & the pink in pin 2 - is this correct. When looking at the plug how can I identify the positions of pin #'s 1,2,3 & 4?

I am using this meter on a 2006 F50TLR but I want to use my older harness (already installed) that has a male and female square 4-pin plug on each end of the harness. I understand I will only use one female plug to the gauge and one male plug to the engine and the other plugs will not be used for this application - is this correct?

Once the wires are inserted into the plugs is it possible to remove them? I know they lock into place when fully inserted and the double o-rings make a waterproof connection. Is there a special tool to use to remove wires from a male or female plug or can I use a small screwdriver or other tool?

My gauge did not come with a wiring diagram or instructions. Can you provide a link or pdf for these?

Thank you....
      Thanks but you really didn't answer my questions. Can you answer my other questions regarding the 4 pin plugs, wiring, manual, etc.?

Comment

On gauge hold square plug with locking tab up, open end facing you and gray wire go in top right, pink top left.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
          On gauge hold square plug with locking tab up, open end facing you and gray wire go in top right, pink top left.
          Thank you - that's what I thought.

I installed the new gauge and set the 3 dip switches to on-off-on. Is this correct for a 2006 4-stroke F50?

My tach seems to work perfectly - reads 8 (x 100) at idle. My hour meter works great - started at 0 - now reads 2 hours.

All the trim bars are visible on right side of gauge but do not change when I trim the engine up or down. I have my 4 pin male plug on harness plugged into the 4 pin female connector on engine that has mostly all pink wires.

Can I also expect to be able to read oil pressure as well with this gauge? What about the overheat signal?

Is it possible to get a PDF manual on this gauge that will answer some of my questions? Thanks for your patience.......

Comment

because your missing the sender ground.
            thats why you were advised to use the correct adapter.
            there is a tech bulliten that says what guages,harness and 2004 up and 2004 down engines fit.
            certain ones I can add a ground and force to work.
            typically when repowering and we cant get them to buy a new tach.
            the 05 marine tech guide has diagrams.
            the wiring is basic knowledge of 12 and 5 v DC.

Comment

Thanks rodbolt17. I am pretty good at wiring, etc. Can you explain what you might do to add the sender ground without purchasing the adapter harness?

Is the trim sender located near the trim switch on the engine?

Thanks.....

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                because your missing the sender ground.
                thats why you were advised to use the correct adapter.
                there is a tech bulliten that says what guages,harness and 2004 up and 2004 down engines fit.
                certain ones I can add a ground and force to work.
                typically when repowering and we cant get them to buy a new tach.
                the 05 marine tech guide has diagrams.
                the wiring is basic knowledge of 12 and 5 v DC.
                I am still hoping you can tell me how to install a sender ground.

Because my engine is a 2006 I don't think I need the adapter harness as one 4-pin connector should work at each end (engine & tach).

I did repower & bought the new tach but am trying to use my current harness.

I have dip switch 1 set to "on" for a 2-wire sender. Is this correct for a 2006 engine?

Comment

Can anyone help? Thank you....

Comment

You need to look at motor and see if has one square connector or two connectors, we don't now what the model number of your motor is.
                    Regards
                    Boats.net
                    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

"a 2006 F50TLR but I want to use my older harness (already installed) that has a male and female square 4-pin plug on each end of the harness"

He is asking if he can make the old harness with the 2 plugs on each end work with his 2006 motor and new tach

Comment

Originally posted by stevecapeh View Post

Thank you....
                        On my first post I stated the year & model #.

Thanks 99yam40 - that is exactly what I am asking. I just want to use basically the half of the harness that has a 4-pin plug attached to each end.
                        Last edited by stevecapeh; 03-08-2013, 05:27 PM. Reason: adding comment

Comment

If it is a 2006 motor with the -90 tach then just plug in the one square connector to engine and the one to tach and thats it, but you keep saying you have two square connectors on engine and if so engine is a 2004 or older and will need adapter harness.
                          Regards
                          Boats.net
                          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks - only one square connector on engine - it is definitely 2006. Don't remember posting it had 2 - the harness I am using has 2 on each end - but not the motor.

Can you tell me this - so that I can trace the 4 wires from the tach to the engine. I know the wires on the tach plug are gray, pink, green/white, green/red (corresponding to pins 1, 2, 3 & 4 respectively). Can you tell me which pins on the engine plug each of these colors should connect to? I want to be certain my harness is connecting each wire running from the tach to the correct wire on the engine plug.

The colors of the wires on the female engine plug are pink, pink/black, pink/white, pink/black corresponding to pins 1, 2, 3 & 4 on the engine plug with the locking tab on the plug at the top.

I definitely have a 2-wire sender with a pink & black wire attached. I have tested the sender with an ohm meter & it appears to be working correctly.

Lastly is the gray wire really not used as I have noted in some schematics. I have concluded from my reading that the pink wire on the tach and the (solid) pink on the engine should carry the "trim" signal. The green/white should carry the "overheat" signal and the green/red should carry the "oil pressure" signal. Is the pink/white on the engine plug the "oil pressure" signal?

I know this all sounds a bit confusing but I am trying to include as much detail as possible so that I can get my trim function working.

Comment

at the engine .
                              locate the two wire pink and black, trim sender connector.
                              remove the black wire from the sender side and take it to ground.

Comment

Working...
                              X