lower unit bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lower unit bolts

I was attempting to remove my lower unit on my 1994 250hp yam. When I tried to remove the first bolt the head snapped right off. Trust me, I have snapped bolts before and I barely twisted the bolt. Then I looked at the next one and the head was partially off. I took it off with my hand and never put a wrench to it. This is gonna be a nightmare getting these out of the housing. Has anyone had this happen to them and any advice getting the bolts out. I have experience removing snapped bolts but this is such a funky spot I was hoping someone had some insight.

Thanks Tom

Luckily theres only about1" to pull thru, unlike broken head bolts....
    Start soaking them prior

Comment

actually, was fairly typical on certain saltwater bolts in that time frame.
      finnish removing the flashing left,remove the gearcase and use an outside diameter collet type extractor.
      under NO circumstances use an EZ out.

Comment

bolts

They didn't break like a "normal" break would happen. Believe me I have broken plenty and always use tons of neversieze every time I put a bolt back into anything. The out drive was in left down in the water for a couple of months, the trim pump broke so I was waiting to fix it when I hauled the boat. It has to be some kind of electrolysis but why are the anodes doing there job? One bolt I broke the head off with my hands. I am not that strong. 5 of the heads broke off on one outdrive. They all came out pretty easy considering I am sure because of all the never seize I used. Just throwing it out there and wondering if this happen to anyone else. They all broke the same exact way. I am gonna try to attach some pics

I ordered all new bolts. Do you think they will be better or should I go and find stainless steel?
        Attached Files

Comment

like I said, it was rather common.
          the bolts that hold the trim unit on have the same problem.
          the problem was resolved and the new bolts work better.
          was a corrosion issue.
          we still have trim bracket anode bolts that do it.

Comment

Working...
          X