30 elf carburetor problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 elf carburetor problem

I have a 30 ELF which runs very well at high speed, but slobbers at idle. It's a tolerable problem, but I don't like it because it could and should be better. Since I have been unable to adjust the idle properly, it was time for a carburetor cleaning. Having now removed and disassembled the carburetors, I find that the slow air jets (I believe these would be called the idle jets) have all been ravaged by some backyard mechanic that stripped the heads off of two of them. One of them I got out and will replace.

My question is, can the remaining two be succesfully drilled out and the housing rethreaded if necessary, or is it better to leave them both alone and just live with the rough idle. I think I can drill them out easily enough, but I'm afraid all I will do is fill the carburetor body with shavings I may never get all out. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to approach this problem?

One last thing. Am I correct in thinking that the main nozzles are held in place by a friction fit and are simply pressed out for cleaning?
    Last edited by JRM80000; 02-25-2013, 03:46 PM. Reason: CHANGE WORDING

Maybe consider checking price/availability of a new or good used carb to replace that one with buggered up jets?...

Comment

if i were you i wouldn't be **** enough to touch the carburater ,as there are so many small inlets and air passage if one of them gets clogged you are doomed ,it would be nice to get a new one from boat.net as it will be a cheaper option plus a peace of mind for few years ,it will be like plug and go ,why are you wasting your time spend some quality time on the water and in winter play with the carburetor when you have nothing to do
      cheers

Comment

I'm afraid i don't approach my repair problems with a remove and replace philosophy, so the above comments are of little help to me. My question remains and i would appreciate some assistance from a knowledgable source.

I would reiterate my additional question regarding the main nozzles. There doesn't appear to be much information on the net about them, but from what i have been able to find, it does not appear that they are removeable. If that is true, confirmation of that fact would be appreciated.

Comment

finding some one with knowledge on a specific 20+ year old motor may not be real easy, but the carb main nozzles I have seen were held in by the main jet I believe.

A little prying and they popped out, but not real sure so do not quote me on that.

have you cleaned them the best you can and then reinstalled and link and sync like the manual called for?
          Some times it takes a sonic bath clean to get them cleaned properly

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's an old engine, but if it didn"t run so well at higher speeds, I might not be so tempted to save it. It came on a boat I recently bought, so it's history is unknown. Anyhow, I have tried the link and sync as per the manual with no noticeable improvement, and am just now doing the cleaning. It occurrs to me however that I might just leave the main nozzles alone since high speed performance is not the problem. That being the case, I'm back to the low speed jets. I forgot to mention that in opening up the carburetors, they were quite clean and there were no visible obstructions. I think I'm going to drill the low speed jets out and replace them. If that fails, then maybe I'll look for some ebay carburetors.

Comment

Working...
            X