2009 F225 Tilt/Trim questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 F225 Tilt/Trim questions

Hi! I leave my boat on a fresh water lake for about 5 months out of the year. The rest of the time, its put away in my covered shed. While its at the dock, I typically leave the motor in up position - just to keep the lower end and the prop clean while she's not in use. BUT, when I brought it home at the end of last season, the motor was having a difficult time going down. It would get down to the secondary (smaller) rams and stop. I ran the tilt back up, and back down. Every time it would get further and futher, until it finally bottomed out at full down position. Now, this could possibly have been a low battery, but can't confirm just yet, as I haven't pulled the boat out of storage yet. There was no rust or corrosion around the rams and no hydrolic fluid is leaking.

I have two questions:

1) Is it OK to leave the motor in full tilt position for a few months out of the year, or is it better to have the motor sitting in the water, with the prop getting caked with crap?

2) I don't have a service manual and haven't been able to find any info on checking the fluid level of the trim/pump, or how to change it. There's nothing about changing it in the owners manual. Just says have mechanic check.....I don't like my mechanic!

Please help!

that system can draw in excess of 25 amps going down, needs a hot battery.
    if you leave the motor tilted up,then set the tilt lock,it the down button and fully retract the trim rams for storage.
    that prevents the same cake fron growing on the rams.

use the yamaha dealer locator function.
    find a dealership that employs at least 1 master tech.
    if none are in your area,at least look for school certificates for power train and electrical.

Comment

Awesome information! Thank you!!

So, maybe if the battery was low, when it hits the secondary rams that's enough to stop it? I mean it sounded terrible. Like it was squeezing out air or something.

That's great info on lowering the rams. I never thought to keep the button pushed after setting the lock. I thought it would break something if I keep the button going after the motor hit the stop. So, just to confirm - its safe to keep trim switch down, once the motor has hit the flip up lock?

So, is there ever maintenance that needs to be done on that pump system? Or is it just considered a closed, never should need to touch system? I'm done paying these marina's for this year anyway!

Comment

its a sealed system, rarely needs PM,sometimes corrective maint.
        usually cause someone left the rams extended and they got coated with debris.
        yes its safe to set it on the lock and retract the trim rams.

Comment

Working...
        X