2001 F80 4 stroke tilt not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 F80 4 stroke tilt not working

My motor is stuck in the down position and when I hit the up trim switch on both the throttle & the motor housing all I hear is the solenoid clicking. I tried raising the motor by turning the release screw but it will not budge. Any help would be apreciated!!!

Disconnect the large green and blue wires(trim motor wires) from trim relay and connect blue to postive post of 12 volt battery and green to negative post, trim motor should run and motor tilt up. If trim motor doesn't run then trim motor is bad, if does run then trim relay probably bad.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks B.N! I tried that and got nothing so I guess I'm needing a motor? Can they be rebuilt? Also, would the bad motor (maybe frozen?) be the reason I can't tilt the motor up even after unscrewing the release screw? Is there some other way to raise it? How can I get the tilt motor off w/o rasising it up??

Comment

MIght be able to rebuild it, would have to take it apart and see what it needs.
        It should raise up with manual release screw open, may take two people to raise it as it is heavy.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks again B/N!!! I really do apreciate the advice!! I had my two Sons home on leave from the Navy for my 60th B/D last week! They are both weight lifters and are huge! They both tried to lift the motor seprettly then together and still couldn't budge it w/ the screw turned all the way out!!! I mean I could see the transom starting to move and told them to stop lifting!! My question is, if the motor or hydrolic is frozen up, will the release screw still work??? I just can't understand why it will not move!!!

Comment

Then may have to completly remove manual release screw.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Well I broke her loose w/ a board then put a strap around the lower unit to a come-a-long to a chain 8' high on a oak tree and cranked her up!! It worked great! Checked the ground wires and thats not the problem so guess it's definitely the motor. So guess I'll be replacing it myself or taking it to someone to do the work for me> Haven't desided yet?
              Guess my next question is can the tilt motor be removed w/o taking the whole outboard off the boat???

Comment

Hi!

Check the brush and springs brush of PTT motor, somethimes are eroded/outworn

Good luck.
                Last edited by almetelo; 05-18-2013, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X