1997 Yamaha C60TLRV - CDI faulire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 Yamaha C60TLRV - CDI faulire?

My (Australian) 1997 Yamaha C60TLRV (60HP two stroke CV) began running roughly & erratically at idle. Within 30 seconds, it splutters itself to a stop. At this stage, it runs above idle OK.

It states on the side of the CDI unit, if engine stops or runs erratically, try disconnecting the emergency return to harbour wire loop. On doing so, the exhaust note of the engines does change however it will now run smooth & does not stop.

Three questions:
    1. is it reasonable to assume the CDI is at fault;
    2. could one assume the C60TLRV USA CDI is compatible with my Australian model?;
    3. do Boats.net ship to Australia?

The numbers on my CDI are: 6H2 10 CU7385. Part numbers on the USA updated CDI are 6H2-85540-13-00; updated from 6H2-85540-10-00.

thanks for advice
    Paul

Test the inputs and outputs of the CDI and the timing to see if all meets spec, that will tell if the CDI has a problem.

Sounds like the problem I had with a C40TLRX, the idle timing was retarding too far. Had to replace CDI

Comment

Did you ever solve this problem?

I have the same motor and using a fuel additive called, "Startron" I have been able to improve idle speed smoothness.
      Normally I am a skeptic of, "Mechanic in a Can" type products, but this stuff works, including decarbonizing pistons.

In my opinion, these 50 to 70 hp, Yamaha, 2 stroke motors were built well. I see them still in service all over the world in village fisherman's, panga fleets.

Comment

Working...
      X