Ring Free Fuel Additive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ring Free Fuel Additive

My owner's manual suggests using this fuel additive. Anyone using this stuff and have any words of wisdom to offer. Thanks

hammer,
    Two stroke motors accumulate a lot of carbon buildup just from the fact they burn a lot of oil,
    relative to the four strokes. The carbon is not as much a problem with the new TCW-3 oils (as compared to the older TCW-2 and 1), but there is still carbon buildup nonetheless.
    You can keep carbon buildup under control by using a detergent fuel additive like Yamaha RingFree or a product called SeaFoam. I prefer SeaFoam.
    Some owners run the detergent all the time, others, like myself, use it on a regular basis. I prefer to use SeaFoam every third tank (1 oz to 1 gallon of fuel). It's a matter of personal preference.
    You should also do a shock treatment with one of the detergents on a two stroke about once a year.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Thanks Ken,
      Looks like a detergent would be a good idea. I'll try to find the Seafoam, but if not I'll fall back on the Ringfree.
      By the way, did you make it thru the hurricane OK? I live way up here in north Louisiana and all we got was a few power outages. Thanks again.

Comment

hammer,
        I buy SeaFoam here at Advance Auto - others should carry it also.
        Yeah, we rode Rita out - very frightening and humbling experience - 125+ mph wind. Lost most of our big trees and 900 feet of wooden fence. Fortunately, house and garage did not get hit. Neighbors were not so fortunate. No power for three weeks, no phone for five...I'm glad to be alive.
        Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

yamahammer, I have run 9.9,s for years now and find that if your use is hit and miss, (I mean if you have periods of active use then several months of inactivity) use the Stabil or some other stabilizer. Once I started using a stabilzer most of my carb problems went away. Run some solvent like Sea Foam or high levels of stabilizer when you come out of storage for the first tank of gas. Also a can of Sea Foam stays in my boat now and if water gets in my gas a good slug of that gets rid of it. This new gas is cr** and you need to keep vapor pressure up and varnish formation at bay. Please do yourself a favor and use a stabilzer/cleaner.

Also when you do a carbon burn with the Sea Foam, use a big garbage can of water to run the motor in and to catch all the stuff that blows out of the motor, Mama might not like her new drive looking all messed up! Make sure the wind is blowing AWAY from the house! Preferably towards the most disagreable neighbor. The white smoke is quite thick during the burn.

Hank

Comment

How much seafoam do you use to do a carbon treatment or shock treatment as oppossed to using it regularly for preventitive puposes?

Also, the seafoam can says that you can pour it on the carbuerators to clean them out. Anyone have any experience with this?

Comment

Shock treatment would be a concentrated amount of seafoam. Some like to use a portable tank for this, they hook up the fuel line right to the small tank, mix in a bottle of seafoam in a smaller amount of gas. I just added a bottle in my tank when it was near empty and ran the boat until i got the bottom bar blinking and red low fuel light blinking. It is excellent stuff. It is also available in a spray form under the lable Deep Creep. This can can be used for de-carboning through the carb throats. Follow the instructions and have fun smoking out the Bay
              2000 Wellcraft 270 Coastal Tournament Edition
              Twin 2000 200 OX-66

Comment

Working...
              X