Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waxing cowl

Hi guys,
    My first post. Just bought a new 9.9 2 stroke and was wondering if I could wax the cowl to protect it from the elements. My owner's manual said nothing about waxing. I've heard that waxing can damage the decals on some RV's and was wondering if this might happen if I applied automotive type wax to the cowl/decals on my outboard. Thanks

hammer,
    I wouldn't wax it - if you have to leave it outdoors, just wash it down with soapy water after use, let dry, and cover with either store bought motor cover or homemade.
    The biggest threat to the finish on your new outboard is salt water and ultraviolet light. The best thing to do is keep the motor inside when not in use, away from ultraviolet - this is true for your entire rig also.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Hello yamahammer,

Not to dispute what Ken has suggested, I believe that it would be ok to wax your Yamaha outboard cowling. Certainly, keeping it protected while stored is important also.

I have owned various outboards for more years than I care to admit and have always waxed the cowling of these motors without any adverse effects.

Comment

Thanks again guys for your suggestions. I definitely plan to keep the motor covered when not in use. I'm concerned with the cowl being baked by the sun and heat on those hot summer days when I'm out fishing. Before I retired a couple of years ago, my work boat had a Mariner motor that was painted the same color as my new Yamaha and the paint oxidized badly on top of the cowl. Sure don't want this to happen to my own motor. For peace of mind I think I'll go ahead and wax it and keep an eye on the decals.

Comment

hammer,
          Try to find a wax that has a lot of UV protection in it - if it works good, let us know, I might want to try it too.
          After five years of hard fishing with my 2000 C115 on my Pathfinder boat, I have not seen any color change on the cowling. But maybe it's because I don't remember how it looked new [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] !
          Good luck,
          Ken K

Comment

roger wilco

Comment

Working...
            X