Tiller fitting kit for yamaha 90

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiller fitting kit for yamaha 90

I'm looking at setting up my RIB with a 70-90 tiller steer yamaha. Currently running a 50hp manual start 3cylinder motor (1998) 15" leg with tiller control previously used as a thundercat race motor. I like the tiller control but want to go to a bigger motor, 70 or 90 2stroke yamaha as the rig is underpowered. As part of this I will mod the transom to take a 20 or 25" leg depending on the motor I can find.

Before I go out and buy a used motor I want to find out if I can use the tiller from 50hp. I appreciate that the 50hp tiller doesn't have the tilt/start built in I might rig a remote switch for trim and mount key in seat base with gauges. What concerns me is that the throttle cables /shift lever may not suit. The 'new' motor could be anything from 1984 to 2000ish if that makes a difference.

An alternate approach would be to buy a new tiller with all the functionality missing from the old one such as the 6X4-42101-00-00. will this suit any yamaha model 70 or 90? I note that a fitting kit is required, is there much variability in these - I couldn't figure out which one was applicable to the 70 and 90 and if it is possible to buy one that will fit all 70's and 90's from the 1980's on and even how much to budget for one.

Thanks for any help in advance.
    Phil c

Would probably have to put a new tiller handle on but would depend on the exact model of used motor you buy, the new style tiller handle are only for 2005 and newer models.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X