Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre mix or oil injection

Hello everybody,
    I have been kicking around the idea of disabling the oil injection system on my 1996 250 HP and going with a premix in the fuel. Can anyone tell me why this is a good or bad idea?
    Thanks, Leon

No Freakin Way.

Bad Idea.

Not Recommended.

Don't do it.

Mike

Comment

Hello fublackanchor,

I am not certain why it would be a bad idea other than the mess and inconsistant "mixes".

Now I am not certain what you would have to do mechanically.

Good luck

Comment

Leon,
        Since I have a pre-mix 2000 C115 Yammie on my Pathfinder boat, I will try to remain objective with my comments:

Good idea [img]smile.gif[/img] : you get rid of two oil reservoirs, an oil pump, associated hoses, and level sensors with switches - a reduction in maintenance and worry.

Bad idea : the Yamaha oil injection system is pretty darn reliable, yet it does require a little maintenance. You get variable oil ratio, I think something like 100:1 at idle, all the way up to 50:1 at full load. This is good because you save oil (and money), less impact on the enviroment, and spark plugs last longer (more money saved). You don't have to worry about mixing proper amount of oil into your tank.

Now, if it were me, I would study up on how to maintain the oiling system you have, and keep it in good shape. If you do decide to go to pre-mix, it's not that big of a deal. Just always wait till you get to the gas pump to add the oil. 1 pint to 6.25 gallons, 1 qt to 12.5, etc. I usually buy my oil by the gallon (to save money) and "down-load" to four-one qt bottles. No mess.
        Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

Working...
        X