2005 115 TLRD- Drive shaft assembly housing oil seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 115 TLRD- Drive shaft assembly housing oil seals

While completing a routine 2 year water pump replacement, I removed the lower water pump plate and gasket. I removed the oil seal cover for cleaning and inspection. Glad I did. I found the upper oil seal had popped a spring. Luckily no water has entered the lower unit. I ordered the 2 seals. Upon looking at the service manual, it calls for removing the drive shaft housing assembly then replacing the 2 seals and bearing. Is this necessary? Or can I just delicately remove both seals from the top, and replace? I know I am Probally looking for the easy way out, that's why I am asking. Or should I just commit to full drive shaft housing assembly removal, and change the seals and bearing.

remove the housing,remove the seals and the oring. clean the housing bore and the seal bore and oring groove.
    carefully reasemble.
    no need to remove the bearing.

Comment

Thanks Rodbolt, I just added an o-ring to my order. I am pretty confident in some of my abilities, just get a little nervous with shims, dial indicators, special tools that I don't have. Last thing I need is to have something go... Boing and not get it back together.

Thanks again for sharing your insight... it's been 300 motor hours since you lasted helped me out a jam. I may just need to change the graphic on my cowling to "Rodbolt 115"

Comment

Working...
      X