X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP tilt and trim

Hey guys need your help.(Ken)

I have a 97 90 yamaha.
    last week we moved the motor from one boat to the other. plug everything back in. and how the tilt and trim just clicks. It was working b4 the move. Dont know wat could happen while we where moving it.

i took the green wire out and tab it to the hot wire bypassing the relay. It went down.

ground is good
    positive wire is good.

wat else do i need to check?
    any fuse?
    is blue and green suppost to have 12v going through them?

THanks

also to add to the move.
    i had the jackplace +wire going into the positive side of the relay.
    now with the battery in the other boat, ive went ahead and ran the jackplate wires into the boat and connected the wires to the battery insead of on the relay.

Comment

Paul,
      I believe you have already diagnosed your problem - a bad relay.
      I checked the wiring diagram in my shop manual - it's for my 2000 C115 - blue and green wires lead from the relays to the power trim/tilt motor. I can only assume your color scheme is the same - I do not have a manual for your motor.
      If you can hear the relay(s) clicking, but no action from the t/t - and then you are able to remove the (green) wire and jump it to 12 volts and the t/t went down, then that down relay is bad. Same goes for the up relay.
      My wiring diagram does not show the relays and t/t circuit fused at all (which bothers me). I think the diagram is wrong, because there are two fuses under the hood of my 115. Don't know how many you have, but check them out - remove them from their holders and ohm them with a meter. Also, check the spring action of the holders.
      I will email you a diagram of the basic relay and t/t circuit. I also suggest that you get a Yamaha shop manual for your particular motor - it will pay for itself.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

I agree with Ken it sounds like a bad relay. One thing you have to watch for when jumping wires is that the relay changes polarity to 2 wires going to trim motor so you should remove trim motor wire from relay before connecting to battery voltage, if not you can short out and damage relay. If you connect blue trim motor wire to 12 volt positive and green wire to neg. the trim motor will turn clockwise and it will trim motor up, reverse polarity green to positive and blue to neg., motor turns counterclockwise and motor trims down.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

thanks guys. ive got a manual and check the relay.
          i went ahead and ordered me a new one and will replace it.
          THanks

Comment

ok.. replaced relay. same thing still clicks..
            how can i check the trim motor?

can i tap the blue or green wire with + volt?should it raise or lower?

THanks guys. hope to get this solve soon;.

Comment

If you connect blue trim motor wire to 12 volt positive and green wire to neg. the trim motor will turn clockwise and it will trim motor up, reverse polarity green to positive and blue to neg., motor turns counterclockwise and motor trims down.

Comment

Paul,
                jb is right - disconnect both green and blue wires from the relays. Ground either one, and apply 12 volts to the other - t/t motor should run. Reverse polarity on the two wires, and motor should run in opposite direction.
                If the motor responds to the above procedure, then the trouble is in the relays/wiring. If the motor does not respond, then bad motor/wiring.
                Take a look at the diagram of the t/t system I emailed you. Note that when one relay is engaged and applies 12 volts to either blue or green wires, then the other relay must provide a ground path for the other motor lead. When neither relay is energized, then both the green and blue wires are in contact with ground thru the wiper of the respective relay that is resting on the contact that has ground (black) wire going to it. You can test all of this with a multi-meter.
                Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
                Ken K

Comment

ill give that a try tonight.
                  will post update.

Comment

hey guys. checked out the trim motor. GOOd.
                    relay is bad. Placed an order for a trim relay and bought a starter silenoid from iboat.com

cant wait to get the parts in.

Comment

Working...
                    X