Thermostats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostats

How hard of a job is it to change the thermostats on a 1999 ox66 225. Also I have asked about the o2 sensor , can you use carborator cleaner on it after you soak it? Thanks

take out the 4 bolts and tap DOWN on the stat cover, 9 of 10 times it wont break the gasket.as far as the o2 spray it all you want with carb cleaner, below the threads.

Comment

pete,
      The thermostats are located in each head assy toward the top - pretty easy to change - four bolts and a gasket.
      What makes you feel you need to change the thermostats ? Overheating?
      The O2 sensor is a bit tricky to clean in that you do not want to get cleaner above the threads.
      I have never cleaned one myself, so I will refer you to a couple of previous posts that are on the forum just from the last week. Scroll down till you see the discussion.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

Pete post your email and I can send you a binder with the pages out of the shop manual for your 225. The thermostats are mounted on top of the motor kinda under the flywheel, on each cylinder bank. They are under a small cover that's retained by two 10mm bolts. If you do remove the thermostats remember to use new gaskets when you replace them (properly torqued with a torque wrench...), they're cheap and prevent any water leaks that end up trickling down from the top of the motor and corroding everything. What's the motor doing that makes you think you need to pull the thermostats? If you pull the O2 sensor you'll also need a new gasket for that (about $15 at the dealer...). Is the motor running bad?

http://www.boatsetup.com/O2sensor.pdf

Mike ........ Miami, FL

Comment

between 2500-3500 the motors rpm's will variy 200 rpm up or down causing some serging. When runnig at 4000 it runs fine . I have a 28 pursuit with twin 1999 225 ox66 . This problem is only happenig to the port engine. I have changed all low pressure fuel pumps ( one was bad ) I have changed all filters even the vst tank filter. This problem started when the temp here in long island got cold. Thanks for all your help. So what do you think?

Comment

NY huh....ethanol maybe causing issues ? there have been other posts about this from your area of the NE.

Comment

Working...
            X