Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire Lead melted

Hi,
    I just had new F60 fitted to my boat. When travelling the battery strap broke and the battery shorted on the frame. I just found all the wire lead on the motor melted. Would this have caused any damage anywhere else to the electronics of the motor? Is it ok to try and start the engine or do I need to take it into a dealer to look at first? I cannot see any melted wires in the cowling and I havent tried to start it. The tilt still works.

Thank you in advance.

Originally posted by macca_dylan View Post
    Hi,
    I just found all the wire lead on the motor melted.
    Might try to explain a little better what wires melted or post a picture

Comment

The ones on the outside of the motor that seem to be earth leads to stop corrosion. I have added the serial no for one but all 3 are the same plastic melted of them.
      6E5-82148-00-00
      WIRE, LEAD 4

Comment

Sounds like the bonding jumpers, then are not meant to carry any 12 volt voltage/amperage only bond the different parts of motor together so that the sacraficial anodes can protect them from corrosion.

Apparently you have a bad connection on the battery cables and there is current trying to flow through the bonding jumpers. Clean up all connections before doing anything like running motor

Comment

The battery touched the frame work of the boat and shorted. It melted the wires on the motor. It is safe to use or do I need a tech to check it out before starting it?

Comment

Sorry I had forgot what you posted at first.

I take it it was the pos that touched the frame .
            I do not know what problem that would or could cause, but I would probably start it on hose to make sure before taking it and putting it into the water

Comment

Working...
            X