1988 Yamaha 40SG JD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Yamaha 40SG JD

I'm looking to add electric start and was wondering what parts are needed when I order so I have everything at once. I have manual start right now. i would also like to remote control the throttle and shifting and unsure on what parts are needed there. Thanks in advance.

find a doner motor or keep pulling.
    the parts required are worth way more than the engine you have.

Comment

that would be fine and all, but I'd like to make that determination. I found a starter motor for 100. The motor runs great and has a jet drive. hard to replace it for what it's "worth"

Comment

not trying to bust your chops.
        what your asking is very expensive as most kits went NLA 20 years ago.

Comment

I'm keeping this motor. I can't imagine it costing over $500 for everything. I can do the work. That's with me getting that $100 starter.

Comment

I have two of those jets, one remote and one tiller, both modified to 50/35hp. Like Rodbolt said, your best bet is to find a cheap blown motor and transfer the parts you need for remote operation, then part out the rest to offset your costs. Here's an example from the St Louis area:Yamaha 40horse parts from florida:http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Yamaha-...f90afe&vxp=mtr
            Last edited by mphelle8vld; 01-03-2013, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the St Louis link. I've left a msg.

Comment

with used parts, you may pull it off for 500.
                if you have to buy new closer to 1000 dollars.
                it also depends on if the flywheel is set up for elecytric start and if the remote cable connections are already in place.

Comment

I have everything now. I got the donor motor. Everything is there. Even gave me the control and cables. Now I just need to transfer everything over.

Comment

Does anyone have the step by step guide to moving the electric parts over to a manual motor? I've exhausted my researching.

Comment

Working...
                    X