flooding 1996 250 HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flooding 1996 250 HP

Just rerigged with a used carbureted 1996 sws2 250, but motor keeps flooding. Motor was sitting for 6 months before instal. Also I can hear a clicking sound when key is on and motor is not running, mechanic says this is the fuel pump running. Is that normal, and does anyone have any advise about flooded carbs. Thanks

Leon,
    Sounds like carb float valve/s sticking open, and the electric pump just keeps on pumping trying to build up pressure.
    I would do a complete carb overhaul since the motor sat up for six months - remove, teardown, clean, and install carb kit. Pay special attention to float valves.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Ken, thanks for the guidance. If I were to do this job myself , how long could I expect it to take and what would be my best resource (instructions and parts) for the job? Thanks Leon.

Comment

Leon,
        Get a Yamaha shop manual to guide you along if you want to do it yourself - it takes a moderate amount of mechanical knowledge and dexterity - if you are a pretty good handyman around the house, go for it - if not, seek a qualified marine mechanic.
        I would say for that V-6 block, allow a full weekend for carb overhaul. You will need to soak parts in carb cleaner (Berryman's Chemtool or equivalent) overnite.
        The manual will give you a step-by-step teardown sequence. The sponsor of this forum, boats.net, is a good source for the carb kit - nice folks and great prices.
        You might consider ordering the shop manual (go to www.yamahapubs.com to order online) and looking it over before you decide to tackle the carb overhaul yourself. If you don't feel comfortable with the job, seek help. The manual will still be a good guide for you in the future for maintenance and service - it will pay for itself.
        Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

Hey Leon I emailed you a copy of the service manual, check your email.

Mike

Comment

Mike, thank you very much!

Comment

Working...
            X