wiring harness issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring harness issue

9.9 four stroke -- I would like to convert my 9.9 w/703 control unit to a 704 binacle mount -- the problem is the connectors color codes and pin connectors. help?

you will need the 10 pin main in your needed length,a keyswitch assy, tach and oil warning harness as nessasary.
    then the 704 with or without trim as nessasary.
    you tell us what you need and someone will shoot you some part numbers.

Comment

and just so you know, Yamaha wire colors never match. there are certain wire colors that go to specific components. but the harness connectors will not match.

Comment

Wiring harness

Thanks for the responses. The issue I need help with is how, if at all possible, can I connect my 9.9 electric start remote con*****ed engine (7 pin) to the 704? I have separate key/oil pressure/warning buzzer/emergency kill switch unit. The 704 I have has the trim switch, which I won't use for now (my next engine will be a 15 HT 25" with electric tilt in the future). None of the connectors will match at this point.
        The key assembly has a 8 pin connector (female) w/4 wire pig tail green, yellow, black separate red.
        The 704 has a 5 pin (male) parimiter design wo/center pin or bottom pin)
        The engine has a 7 pin.

The 704's brown leads I am assuming are for the tilt control leaving light blue, red, and pale green.

The key unit red, dark blue, yellow, pink, brown, dark green, white, and black with the dark green, yellow, and black with separate red pig tail.
        Part no. # 704-82570-10-00
        What will I need to splice together?
        Last edited by Tiki Thom; 12-29-2012, 09:40 AM.

Comment

only thing you wont use is the trim functions.
          the brown wire at the 704 to ign is nuetral start switch.
          the blue wire in the ign main wont be used,normally its for choke.
          however if you buy the correct 10 pin main from engine to ign switch,the correct oil/trim warning harness.
          the correct or unchoped existing ign switch.
          then its all plug and play all the way down to the tach.
          tach will display RPM,oil and overheat visual indicates.
          off the ign switch, the green,yellow,red and black are for the tach/guage assy.
          buy the correct harness and thats plug and play as well.
          green is tach send,red is 12V,yellow is key on 12v,black is ground.

Comment

Not sure which 9.9 model you have but here is some of part numbers for electric start/remote model,
            704-48205-B1-00 704 Binnacle control
            704-82570-10-00 Key switch panel
            688-8258A-50-00 16ft 10 pin main harness(for power trim models)
            688-82586-50-00 16ft 7 pin main harness( for models without power trim)
            Last edited by boats.net; 12-29-2012, 01:49 PM.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

if you wish for a future upgrade use the 10 pin main.
              if a tach is going to be an upgrade get the trim/oil harness and the harness from keyswitch to guage.

Comment

Again I thank you, but I would like toknow just how I would 'marry' the different components - engine ignition, engine start, tach, etc.?

Comment

Wiring harness issue - new wrinkle!

I forgot to mention a tach. I have been collecting these parts for awhile. The motor is solid after I rebuilt all the electrical parts (my motor took an unexpected swim). The way I have mounted the control (703) requires me to use it 'backwards', not great in emergencies situations, and potentially desaster for new skippers.

I have already bought the 704 keyed switch it has an eight pin connector with green, yellow, black, and red pig tail. It also has the alarm buzzer.

The 704 Has only five pin in its connector. A pair of brown and the red, green, blue for the trim switch.

Now the tach - its the old analog style black, yellow, dark green in a group of three - then black and dark blue as a group. The more confusing is the G - Y - R terminals. G=yellow w/red band (about an inch between bands). Y= nothing (no wires). R=red w/black bands and yellow w/red bands.
                  Now we havea yellow with a 'male' plug end, a brown w/black band with a 'female' plug. The connector joins four wires red w/black band, brown w/black band, pink w/red band and a green w/yellow stripe and red band.

I am in North Ft. Myers w boat in the water - kind of not willing to begin cutting into the wiring harness without a little help. Does anyone know anyone that can offer some paid advise. I am not adverse to any of this, but without knowing values it is a little challenging.

Thanks again for helping out.

Tiki Thom

Comment

Why not just buy the correct parts/ Harnesses and plug it together instead of bastardizing your wiring

Comment

there are multiple harnessnes we are dealing with.
                      10 pin main, engine to helm, trim oil engine to tach,keyswitch to 10 pin and 704, key switch to tach.
                      the 704 has its own harness that plugs into the 10 pin main and ign harness for trim and nuetral start.
                      some smaller yamaha motors require push to open or pull to open.
                      the 704 can be made either way in about 20 minutes.
                      sorry for all the typos, I am in pueto rico on my wifes spanish keyboard and looking fwd to the next 3 days pea**** bass and tarpon fishing.

Comment

Enjoy yourself. I would like to ask how to, but it can certainly wait. I figure it would require a little reconfiguration, but with out knowing values -- I need to understand functions ...

Thnaks again for the help.

Tiki Thom

Comment

Working...
                        X