Engine exploded during winterization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine exploded during winterization

My mechanic was winterizing my F 250 engines. He turned the key on one of the engines and it exploded. A connecting rod blew a hole in the block. He never saw anything like this before. The engine has 150 hours and is one year out of warranty. My insurance says it is a mechanical failure and won't cover it. Yamaha offers no help. They speculate that it may be hydrolock or a stuck fuel injector. Has anyone ever heard of this? The mechanic had taken the boat out prior to winterization to check the depth finder. He said nothing remarkable occurred.

Were there any stored error codes in the ECU for the cam position sensor and/or the MAP sensor?
    Last edited by seahorse5; 12-23-2012, 12:14 PM.

Comment

No one suggested that. I will ask my mechanic.

Comment

never saw that.
        I do have a rebuildable block assy.

Comment

When you say he took it out........... for a thrash or out of the water

Comment

He took it for a test on the water to check the death sounder. He then hauled the boat to winterize it. I asked him if a check engine light or alarm went off when he was out on the water and he said no. Since I wasn't there I can not verify anything. One thing I forgot to mention is that I used the boat for 4 seasons and two times, once in the second and once in the third season the check engine light for this engine came on. In each case, once by the boatyard and once by me I emptied the strainer and then it was fine. Another thing I wonder about is that I bought this boat new as a leftover. One engine had **** decals and one had silver. I never thought it was a big deal but now I wonder if something had happened to this boat and they switched out one of the engines. The dealer lost the Wellcraft dealership shortly thereafter and the new dealer said many of the boats he got from him were cannibalized.

Comment

let me guess # 6 cyl popped the rod?
              if so I might can shed some light on it.

Comment

Working...
              X