Rookie Mistake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie Mistake?

Hopefully someone can save me some headache...I replaced my water pump but in the process managed to have the shift cam come out of the lower unit. Is there a way to put the shift cam back in without taking apart the lower unit? I think the answer to my question is no, but would just like confirmation before going any further. The engine is a 1995 40hp 2-stroke
    (c40elrt). Thanks in advance.

its no problem to put it back without disassembling the gearcase.
    just make sure that its in the same gear as the remote

Comment

sorry to say it.
      you MUST remove the propshaft and bearing carrier to reinstall the shift shaft on the C model 40 in 1995.
      if its a salt water/brackish water use the factory tools are kinda worthless.

Comment

Thanks for the replies...I thought I made some major work for myself...in the future, how do I go about disconnecting the shift rod so the shift cam does not come out of the lower unit when changing the water pump? The only other area I saw to possibly disconnect the shift rod was underneath the power head.

Comment

there is a barrel and locknut assy just above the gearhousing.
          hold the barrel nut with 1 10mm wrench and unthread the locknut a couple turns with the other 10mm open end.
          then shift to reverse,have someone spin the prop while shifting, and turn the barrel nut UPWARDS to dissconnect the shift link.
          I made an adapter that fits on my slide hammer and screws on the propshaft for carrier removal.
          in salt water applications I typically drill the claw nut in 3 places and take it out in pieces.
          you will need the spanner wrench to reinstall the claw nut.

Comment

So there is no way to disconnect the shift rod without pulling the prop shaft? That makes dropping the lower unit a labor intensive job.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
              there is a barrel and locknut assy just above the gearhousing.
              hold the barrel nut with 1 10mm wrench and unthread the locknut a couple turns with the other 10mm open end.
              then shift to reverse,have someone spin the prop while shifting, and turn the barrel nut UPWARDS to dissconnect the shift link.

you MUST remove the propshaft and bearing carrier to reinstall the shift shaft on the C model 40 in 1995.

Did you not understand what Rodbolt17 said?

You have to pull the propshaft and bearing carrier to reinstall the shift shaft on the C model 40 in 1995, only if you dislodge it as you have done

Comment

My follow-up question is about how not to dislodge it...removing the prop shaft is obviously above my skill level and will be taking it to the shop to have it done. In the future I would like to be able to replace the water pump on my own but do not see a way to remove the shift shaft. There is no barrel nut above the gear housing (I am geussing by gear housing you mean the lower unit gearhousing...again rookie hear so bear with me)...I can take a picture and post that if it would help
                Last edited by gunpowder25; 12-22-2012, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Nevermind...i found my moronic mistake...the motor is a long-shaft version so the bolt to release the shift shaft is covered by a metal plate about 8 inched up. Now that i learned the hard way...how much (rough estimate) will I be looking at to have someone put it back together?

Thanks again for helping out a novice who quickly got in over his head.

Comment

Working...
                  X