Yamaha 200 HPDI Oil Alarm Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 200 HPDI Oil Alarm Problem

I have seen a bunch of similar threads but none seem to nail it for me.

Started the engine, idled for 2 minutes and engine just shut off and oil alarm came on with the oil symbols blinking. I pulled cover and the engine tank had too much oil in it. I manually drained that down to within limits and still get alarm and engine cranks but doesnt start. Remote tank is full and I am getting oil transfer. I pulled the sensor/strainer from the engine tank and that looks ok with no clog. Only thing I notice is the foam washer seal at the bottom of the strainer seems worn and doesnt fit snug, but I can't figure how that could be the problem.

In summary - 1) oil alarm going but oil levels are good 2) engine cranks but does not start

One addition - I ran the engine two days ago and I noticed more smoke coming from exhaust, but it hadn't run in a few weeks so I didn't think of it much at the time. Can the oil overfill cause the spark plugs to be affected?
    Last edited by merlin25; 12-18-2012, 10:48 PM. Reason: Forgot one thought

if the main oil tank on the engine is over full it will drain into the airbox and get sucked into the intake. and yes it can foul the plugs.. if the oil tank on the engine continues to over fill you need the float sensor in this tank.

Comment

If the plugs get fouled can they be removed and cleaned? or do they need to be replaced?

Comment

the engine stall has noting to do with the oil system.
        even with the bottom(#6) cylinder swiming in oil it will run on the other 5 cylinders.
        I have seen enough plugs foul(rather normal with HPDI) that the engine wont run.
        no alarms or oil system functions associated with any shut off.
        engine switch is easily testable.
        I usually reccomend testing a component before chunking a part at it.
        plugs are cheap if you dont have a Kv tester.
        once you resolve the no start issue then troubleshoot the oil issue.
        at key on engine off what visual indicates do you get on the tach?
        at key on engine off do you get an audible alarm?

Comment

I am not on the boat now but at key on engine off I get a solid alarm sound and blinking oil bar lights. I think the tach side of the gauge is normal but cant recall exactly.

I pulled the air intake plastic cover and there was a coating of oil on the plastic and a little oil at the entrance to each cylinder (dont know the technical term).

Is your recommendation to replace the plugs and try first?

Comment

Click on search
            then advanced search
            Punch in 3 bars flashing
            and Rodbolt17

Start reading the posts to pick up info Rod has posted on oil system troubleshooting.

Here is the 1st thread that came up, helps explain what maybe causing the alarm and 3 bars flashing. http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...k-th16450.html

edit Maybe wrong motor system so you will have to find one that matches your motor
            Last edited by 99yam40; 12-19-2012, 10:58 AM.

Comment

oil in the throttle shutter bores is normal.
              small amounts of oil in the airbox is normal.
              had the engine oil tank actually overflowed the bottom shutter would have been swimming in oil.
              3 bars flashing and an audible means the oil control module "sees" low engine tank level and ok level in the remote tank.
              could also be a switch has failed or the switch assy in the engine tank was installed incorrectly.

Comment

Working...
              X