o2 sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• o2 sensor

when you take out the o2 sensor , how do the wires disconect? I have not looked at it yet and just want to know a little bit before I get into it. Can you use carborator cleaner to clean it and what do you use to clean this tube on the motor everyone is talking about?

The wires have disconnect couplers on them easy to disconnect. You can use Yamaha Ring Free, Yamaha Combustion Chamber cleaner or Sea Foam to soak O2 sensor and draw tube in, just dont put the O2 sensor in cleaner above the threaded portion of sensor it will damage sensor.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

thanks alot . But where is this tube , does it come out with the sensor?

Comment

When you remove the metal O2 sensor mount the tube is horizontal between the sensor mount and the block opening. Pull the tube out and clean it with a wire brush and some of the same cleaner you use for the O2 sensor. I recommend Sea Foam, available at any Advance Auto or CarQuest autopart store. The tube seems to get more carbon on it than the actual O2 sensor. Make sure all the openings are clear on the sensor, that it can get good flow through them. Let it soak in Sea Foam for a few hours then brush it off and blow it out with a compressor. Clean out the mounting block too, it may have carbon deposits built up in there as well.
        Here's a link to a How-To article on it....
        http://www.boatsetup.com/O2sensor.pdf

Mike......... Miami, FL

Comment

thanks that article was great. It mentions to use contact cleaner after soaking the o2 . What is it do you know?

Comment

Contact cleaner just flushes all the solvent out of the O2 sensor and leaves the element clear of any residue. If you have a digital multimeter do the test after cleaning the sensor to make sure it works properly before you reinstall it. You'll just see the voltage swing between .2 and .8 when you pass it through the heat if it's working properly.

Mike....... Miami, FL

Comment

can you use carburator cleaner as the contact cleaner after you soaked it? Thanks again you have all been very helpful

Comment

I would recommend either CRC brake cleaner or actual electrical contact cleaner, both available at any autoparts store.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                X