F150 and multifunction tach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F150 and multifunction tach

I have installed the multifunction gauges before but my new F150 has several terminated plugs at the front of the engine. One 4 terminal has all pink wires and the other 4 terminal only has 2 wires blue & white.

My kit also has an adapter 6Y5-85335-00 (adapter - 81 TA CK for trim) that I haven't seen before. I have rigged a 90 and F115 without this adapter so I'm not sure if this is needed.

Guidance on which engine plugs to connect the tach harness to would be appreciated.

Tach harness 4 terminal male - orange|black|gray|pink

Tach harness 4 terminal female - green|green/red|white/red|blue/white

Thanks

There was a change in gauges and engine harness in 2005. If you have a 2005-06 F150 there is only 1 four pin connector at engine and the trim/oil harness coming fron tach still has 2 four pin connectors only use the male 4 pin trim/oil harness connector. If you bought a tach kit part number 6YR-W0035-E1-00(includes 6Y5-8350T-82-00 tach) it will work engines 1994-2006, if you have 6YR-W0035-E0-00( includes 6Y5-8350T-81-00 tach) it will work on 1994-2004 engines, if used on 2005-06 engine it will need the 6Y5-83335-00-00 adapter connected between tach and trim/oil harness at gauge. Confusing I know, let me know the model number of F150 and part number of gauge or kit I will try to help.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Engine: F150TLRD

Kit: 6YR-WE035-J0 (has speedo/fuel mgt combo)

I noticed that this tach has an adapter prefitted so that one pigtail only has 2 green wires. The blue and white are eliminated by the adapter.

The tach to engine harness has 2 plugs and 8 wires on each end.

Comment

Yes that is 2005 engine and gauges set. Use the four prong connector with pink wires at engine, the other plug on gauge trim/oil harness is not used(cap it with the waterproof plug). Connect the trim/oil harness direct to gauge, the 6Y5-85335-00 is not needed. The short harness in kit is the power lead harness, connects to pigtail on key switch(703 side mount control box has pigtail at back of control box) just match colors green to green, yellow to yellow,etc.., connect the other end to gauges and match colors.The other harness is the fuel flow sender harness, mount the fuel flow sender in fuel line going to engine and connect harness, connect other end of harness to speedo.Set the dip switch's in both gauges before installing. Set tach for 4 stroke engine, 12 pole alternator and 2 wire trim sender. Set speed/fuel gauge to what settings you want to use.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks boats.net,

After connecting the one plug at the engine and leaving the other terminated, I had no trim signal. I put the 6Y5-85335-00 adaptor between the tach and harness. It blended the 2 connectors and solved the problem.

Is there a way to connect the fuel sending unit to the multifunction speedo and the analog gauge? It would be nice to have both working since there is nothing to replace the 2" analog fuel gauge on my dash. If not, I may use a 2 way dash switch to divert the sending unit signal when I want to check the analog gauge. I tried jumping from the post on the analog but the readings were low when both were connected.

Thanks for the assistance.

Comment

A switch would be the only way to run both fuel gauges, you can't connect 2 gauges to 1 sender at same time and get an accurate reading.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Great,

Thanks for the help with the new wiring schema. I was hesitant to mate different colored wiring on an expensive engine without checking with a pro.

I converted a jet pump Yamaha last year with a lower unit from boats.net. Everything worked out great and your prices were hard to beat.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              X