Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a small outboard overcharge batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a small outboard overcharge batteries?

I've just purchased a almost new (2011) Yamaha 15 hp as a kicker for my Trophy and planned on setting it up with a rectifier and wiring to charge my batteries (either one or both through a Perko Switch). I had the same set up with my previous boat with a 6 hp Yamaha.

The difference between the two motors it the output. The 6 hp put out 6 amps max and the 15 hp puts out 10 amps max. These motors do not have regulators, so they can theoretically overcharge a battery. I never had an issue with the 6 hp because the output was so low. But, what I don't know is how much the 15 hp puts out at typical *****ing speeds. I plan to do that before next summer, but I'm wondering if I should just pre-emptively look for a way to introduce a voltage regulator into the system... or maybe a cutoff switch to just stop the electricity flow to the battery when I want to?

So, the question for anyone with a 15 hp Yamaha or maybe a 20 hp Yamaha, have you had overcharging problems? Have you measured the output at slow speeds?

Thanks!

I was thinking the rectifier is also a regulator all in one part

Comment

No, the guy at the dealer I bought the rectifier from was clear that it is an unregulated output. I'd read that before... and didn't really think it was an issue because of the low output. But, now I'm wondering if I should do something about it.

Comment

We haven't had any issues with small motors overcharging battery.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

thats 10 amps at 5000 RPM.
          at *****ing speed I would be surprised at much over about 3 amps.
          goes back to basic A/C theorey.
          move a magnet(flywheel) past a coil of wire(lighting coil) and current is produced.
          the frequency and amount is determmined by magnent speed past the coil.

Comment

I finally got the boat out and tested my new charging system. I was surprised to see the kicker output voltage hit 17v when I ran up the rpm above dead slow.

So, I'm really nervous about damaging my batteries.

Anyone ever install a basic automotive voltage regulator downstream of a kicker like this? Seems like it should work.

Comment

Working...
            X