Water in oil. 2005 4-stroke F115. Other issues too. Puzzled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in oil. 2005 4-stroke F115. Other issues too. Puzzled

I just bought a 2005 Yamaha F115 out of Florida and believe I've been ripped off big-time. I am attempting to return the motor, but I'm not optimistic that I'll be successful given the lies I was told prior to purchasing. The motor was sold under the guise of "my cousin upgraded to a 150HP, but this 115 ran great. He just needed more power".
    Was told it did have a minor oil leak(claimed to a cam seal and would cost about $500 to repair) which I planned on fixing myself given I've done motor work previously. Upon getting it to Michigan and upright on a stand, emulsified water was in the oil and when drained, a total of a pint came out preceeded by a a large splash of water. This puzzled me because I would expect all water to be emulsified or if somehow water was introduced, it would all be separated.
    Secondly, I was told the compression was strong and withing 10%, but I recorded: 120, 210, 150 and 180psi respectively. Finally, three of the spark plugs looked good, but the high compression #2 plug was crusted over with a medium brown(not black like oil issues would indicate) material. I haven't fired the thing up so this is all I have to go on, but needless to say if I'm stuck with it there is much to be repaired.
    My initial feeling was a possible head gasket or bad head, but the high compression in #2cyl was surprising. I've also researched that a seal down in the oil pump or oil pan issue could be to blame for the oil mess.
    Any experts on these subjects out there?
    Thanks much

Hope you get an answer as I have 09 F90 with same problem.

Comment

Hate to say it, but you bought a lemon. Get your money back if at all possible. You could easily spend more on repairs than you spent on the motor in the first place.

Comment

another fleabay/crapslist special.
        now its time for a leakdown test. that will tell you if the cyls are leaking and where.
        typically water in the oil is a defective head gasket seal or a defective oil pan assy.
        usually due from overheat but occasionally from salt water corrosion.
        best bet is get your money back.

Comment

I spoke with the seller and was amazed. He'll give money back, but swears the water in the oil had to be caused by his ****age son who was charged with cleaning up the motor. Seller said he returned to his shop to find the kids had power washed the thing with the cover off and the cowl full of water. He can only figure that this is the source of the water in the oil. Said if I flush and find water in oil he will refund my money.
          That being said, I did buy the thing knowing there was an oil leak on the upper crank seal which was estimated to be a $500 repair by seller's motor shop. Is this an easy fix or something that would exceed $500? I've rebuilt motors before so should I give it a whirl?
          Thanks

Comment

you can pressure wash that motor all day long and not get water in the oil nor poor compression.
            get your money back, PRONTO.

Comment

Red Flag

When your concience sends up a red flag you need to react and make the right decision. Take the motor back and demand your money back or you will be kicking yourself as long as you have that motor which spells "un-reliable"

Good Luck!

Comment

Yep, weak ass Pos yam. Some folks just don't learn. Decent jet skis, pianos, guitar, bit not outboards. Just loij at this website.. Sorta says it all. Yams SUCK piss poor excuse for a outboard.
                when u do this 5/6 days a week,,, u learn real fast what works and what dosnt
                Then I always get the fools that say I spent 18 k for that motor,, it has to be good.......lol..lol keep telling yourself u made a good investment... The only reason I even ck this website is to prove to myself yammys are POS's u folks prove it !!!

Comment

BTW, water in the oil can also be due to bad thermostat......just reread first post. Do a leak down test. If u need to verify the cly head surface is rotted out at the fire ring area. Sea it all the time on 4Strokes. Especially ones not flushed with saltaway..tip. DO NOT flush out saltaway. Leave it in the motor for god sakes. Jeez !!
                  Last edited by Keithbaja; 03-06-2022, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X