Lower Unit Drain Plug Stripped & Leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Unit Drain Plug Stripped & Leaking

Had my 2004 115hp serviced this spring, which included changing the oil in the lower unit. I just noticed that oil is leaking out of the drain plug. Went to tighten the plug and found it stripped. The service shop that serviced the lower unit was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina and will be out of business for a while.

Is there a oversized plug available or will a helicoil kit work?

Looking to bring it to another service shop in the area.

gbayou,
    First of all, I would be madder than a hornet, myself - especially if the shop was an authorized Yamaha dealership. If it was, I would get in touch with Yamaha factory or reginal sales mgr - they should help you on this.
    I would inspect the threads on the plug to see if they are stripped, or if the housing threads or stripped - if you are lucky, it will be the plug threads.
    Don't know if an oversized plug is available or not, but I think a helicoil would work - try to find a marine mechanic who has done this before.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

I have run across stripped drain plugs and have yet to find a cheap solution. The housing is not really thick enough for heli coil and head of drain screw and gasket is not large enough to cover heli coil to seal properly. I replace the housing and drain screws, it's the only way I know of to make sure it doesn't leak.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

gbayou,
        I checked with my trusted marine mechanic today, and he said he has had success in the past with stripped drain plug holes by tapping the hole with the next larger size. You obviously could go with metric or standard. I would try to tap for a thread that is at least as fine as the original. Try to find a screw that has approx same size head on it as the original so that it will fit into the recessed area of the housing - also gonna need a fiber/nylon washer to help seal.
        Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

Working...
        X