motor hard to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motor hard to start

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a 1997 90hp yamaha

It seems fustrating to be at the boat ramp and trying to start ur motor.

Ive had this motor for about a year now and ive always have trouble starting it.

Well not trouble but it takes a long time to get it started. I have tried to decarbed it.

once it gets warms up it will start up fine.

What do yall think i need to get done in order to make it start in one turn.

carburetor kit? Rebuild motor? check fuel filters?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Paul,

Since your motor is 8+ years old, a complete carburator rebuild would probably be in order.

You might also want to check out the link below:

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/c...c;f=1;t=001536

Good luck

Comment

yeah i think i need to get that done. is fairly easy to do with a service manual? How do i check to see if the electric choke is working on my control box? always tried it but never seem to help my starting problem

Comment

Paul,
        Go see my post to Sully for his 90 hp Yammie - I believe you have the same auto choke that he does.
        Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

Hey Paul,

I have never rebuilt the carbs on a Yamaha but I would suspect it to be similar to my old Evinrude ..... quite easy to do with or without a manual. I would suggest that you get a manual though.

If the choke system is the same as my 2005 90 TLRD then it is all automagical ..... con*****ed by the temperature of the motor.

Follow this link to see more discussion concerning the 90 series motor and starting/choke issues:

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/c...c;f=1;t=001536

Comment

Working...
          X