90 hp oil consumption way down...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 hp oil consumption way down...

One of my twin 90hp outboards has started using about 20% of what the other is using. I removed the hose from the oil tank to see if oil was getting out and it is. Could the oil pump have gone bad or could it be plugged up somewhere else?

Can I just unhook the oil pump arm from the carbs and just premix the oil or do I have to plug all of the oil inlets to the carbs?

Any and all help appreciated, need to fix asap for fishing trip tommorow.

Thanks
    Ikaika

What year are they ?
    Ensure the oil linkage bottoms out on the stop set pin on your pump, if not adjust so it sits on the circular pin at neutral.
    removing the linkage will still pump oil, but only pump the allotted oil allowed at neutral. as far as i know you can remove the pump and premix but always better to have the system fixed. Im sure you will get more responses on this, but for now, I would add your 20% calculated deficiency to the tank, or if you have 1 tank, run the questionable motor on a seperate tank.

Comment

They are 1986. Is there anything that I can clean or service before going out and buying a whole new pump? Any sensors to check? What about filters, is there a screen in the pump that can be removed and cleaned?

Thanks

Comment

there is a remote tank filter which ive read does clog and possibly one in the main tank, you might want to check a diagram in a manual or online as theyre all the same, cept the harnesses. hopefully there will be more responses, wish i had more answers for ya, but luckily i havent had that issues, with 9 yammies,3 of which i still have. good luck and post your fix !

Comment

Working...
        X