Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 HP Yamaha 2 Stroke 1988

Hello,

Can I please get some help identifying compression number on my 88 Yamaha 90 hp outboard. I just did a compression test with the motor warm and all plugs out. I got between 80 and 82 on all 3 cylinder. I understand that I am looking for all cylinders to be in the same range.My question is I have see used Yamaha 90 hp motors for sale that had number over 100? Could this be an issue? Not a ring but crank seal etc? The motor has been running very well and appears to have plenty of power mounted on a 17 ft Boston Whaler and moves it well. I have had to Boat for a few years and I do know the cylinder head was replaced but other than that I have kn knowledge of a rebuild or any other work. I just want to make sure if I have an issue lurking I can get a grab on it in the off season.Thank you for any help you can provide.

The test should be done with the throttle plates wide open.

Comment

Yes throttle was open all the way I even bought a new compression gauge with the same results Battery was fully charged and motor was spinning fast. I am going to decarb and see if that helps but most number I have see for these motors are 120's.. Its strange because it is running good.

Comment

Working...
      X