Intermittnet HPDI issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittnet HPDI issues

I have a 2003 250 HPDI that I am having some issues with. Sometimes when I put the throttle down to get up on plane, I can only get 3800 to 4000 rpms. If I throttle back to about 3/4 it runs weak. If I put it to full throttle, it sounds like its missing. Then sometimes all of the sudden as I'm going along, it will kick in and seem to run fine and I will get up to 5800 rpms..

This past weekend after I launched my boat, it was acting up and I ran about 30 miles and then all of the sudden, it kicked in and ran.

Sometimes when I start it , i get excessive smoke.......I have had the oil recal done.

My top end is at 46 mph and before I was getting a solid 52 and up to 54 mph.

Something just isn't right...any ideas would be appreciated.

One other thing that I had forgot to post earlier was that I'm also having issues putting the motor into gear from neutral. sometimes it locks up and wont let me put it into forward. I put it into reverse and then back into forward. It can take several tries to get it to go into forward. I am wondering if this could be causing a problem with the shift position switch. Due to the lack of top end speed, intermittent rpms from 4000 to 5800 and excessive smoking at idle sometimes.

Thanks
    Last edited by Pig Pen 250; 10-17-2012, 07:01 PM. Reason: adding thoughts

shift position nor shift cut have any affect on N to F or N to R.
    only from an ingear to N shift.
    test fuel rail pressures at the failure RPM and load.
    check the shift linkage,especially directly below the throttle body,for debris or loose bolts.
    keep running an HPDI especially a 3.3L when its running poorly and you may get to post about detonated pistons.

Comment

Working...
    X