Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 130 Missing on two cylinders!

Hi All,
    Can somebody please advise? My 1999 Yamaha 130 hp has run faultlessly since new in 1999.
    After a perfect run on the river, I flushed out the motor at home with a flushing attachment and garden hose. I noticed the idling was very low, and on checking found it was only running on the two cylinders on the right bank. I checked the two left bank cylinders plug leads and the spark was strong. There was no overheating and it has new oil and fresh fuel. I opened the fuel filter and it was clean. I have also replaced the plugs. (New NGK) Could this perhaps be a carburettor problem, dirt etc? Or maybe electrical?
    I obviously don't want to go back on the river untill this is sorted!
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Dennis.
    Last edited by Speedcop; 10-16-2012, 10:30 AM. Reason: Added comment.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate!
    Challenger 16ft - 1999 Yamaha 130 BETO

If all cylinders are getting good spark it is not electrical problem it is a fuel problem or the spark plugs bay be bad

Comment

On a 130 I used to own, recall both carbs fed each bank.

Top carb = fed top cylinders on each bank.
      Bottom carb = fed bottom cylinders on each bank.

By checking plug leads, did you check the actual spark plugs by grounded to something, or use a spark plug light to show spark?

Swap plugs from left bank to right bank, see if problem moves.
      Last edited by muskrat1; 10-16-2012, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Yamaha 130 Missing on two cylinders!

Hi Guys, "muskrat1" and "99yam40' - Thanks so much for the speedy reply and advice! I have fitted new NGK plugs, and the spark jumps to ground if I pull the leads off slightly or if I put a loose plug and ground to earth. It just seems strange that both left bank cylinders are not getting fuel from only one side of both carbs. Could this mean a blockage on only one side of both carbs? I guess I had better strip the carbs and check. Or what? I'm stumped!

Comment

Compression , spark, and timing are easy to check just to make sure they are good.

I Do not know if that motor has 1 or 2 lift pumps( fuel pumps), and which cylinder crankcases feed the pulse to pumps, but that is something to check to make sure they are not leaking fuel into crankcase.

too much fuel is just like too little, cylinder will not fire properly

Comment

Yamaha 130 Missing on two cylinders!

Hi 99yam40,
            Thanks so much for the advice! I'll check on those items and let you know.
            The 130 that I have, has only one fuel pump, but I'll check to see that it ia sealing properly. Strange but the pump is on the left where the two dead cylinders are! Maybe! I'll check. Thanks again. It is so gratifying to know that there are experts out there that are willing to help!
            Kind Regards,
            Dennis.
            Last edited by Speedcop; 10-17-2012, 09:25 AM. Reason: Spelling!

Comment

Yamaha 130 timing?

Hi Guys,
              Another small problem with my 130 Yamaha outboard.
              The ‘Mechanic’ replaced the two sensors that sit on a circular plate that is con*****ed by the throttle linkage.
              The motor ran sort of ok, but it still seemed as if the two left cylinders were not firing.
              I changed plugs (for new NGK’s), and no difference. I then stripped the carbs and the fuel pump to check floats and the pump diaphragm. – Both ok. Couldn’t find any anomalies.
              Then on fitting the carbs, I saw two timing marks on the plate that holds the sensors and the small plates indicating where the timing marks should be. There is one for full throttle and on for idle.
              These did not line up at all. I then aligned the marks and the motor seems fine.
              I’m going to the river over Xmas and I’ll try it out.
              Rodbolt or Muskrat1 or 99yam40, could you guys maybe throw some light on this or give me the correct timing for this motor? - (Yam 130 BETO)
              Thanks and have a really good Xmas.Hi Guys,
              Another small problem with my 130 Yamaha outboard.
              The ‘Mechanic’ replaced the two sensors that sit on a circular plate that is con*****ed by the throttle linkage.
              The motor ran sort of ok, but it still seemed as if the two left cylinders were not firing.
              I changed plugs (for new NGK’s), and no difference. I then stripped the carbs and the fuel pump to check floats and the pump diaphragm. – Both ok. Couldn’t find any anomalies.
              Then on fitting the carbs, I saw two timing marks on the plate that holds the sensors and the small plates indicating where the timing marks should be. There is one for full throttle and on for idle.
              These did not line up at all. I then aligned the marks and the motor seems fine.
              I’m going to the river over Xmas and I’ll try it out.
              Rodbolt or Muskrat1 or 99yam40, could you guys maybe throw some light on this or give me the correct timing for this motor? - (Yam 130 BETO)
              Thanks and have a really good Xmas.

Comment

I would find the Yamaha service manual for your motor and follow the steps in it to do the link and sync every time you reinstall the carbs. That includes the timing also.
                All the specs are in the manual.
                to check to make sure timing is correct use a timing light

Comment

Yamaha 130 service manual.

Hi 99yam40,
                  Thanks so much for your propt reply!
                  My problem is I live in South Africa and nowhere can one find a sevice manual. The only place is at the dealers and they hold on to them with both hands!
                  They just tell you to bring the motor in and then they charge an arm and a leg!
                  Is there some way to get hold of one in your area?
                  Our exchange rate is not very favourable.
                  Thanks for the input and have a really good Xmas.

Comment

Hi!

I hope this can help you in future.

Have a look.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bxi...kFDU3RscUZHc28

Good luck

Comment

Almetelo,
                      You are an Angel sent from heaven!!!! Do you know how hard I tried to lay my hands on this book!!?!
                      Thank you so much for the service manual !! This will not only help me with the timing and settings problem, but anything I may encounter in the future!
                      I hope someone else on the forum will gain some value from this link as well.
                      I really appeciate your help in sending this to me and I sincerly hope I can roll a stone out of your way sometime!
                      I am going to set up the motor tomorrow. I'm off to the river on Saturday so I'll let you know how it goes when we come back on the 2nd Jan.
                      Thank you again and I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

Comment

Hi!

I'm glad I could help!
                        Yesterday checked my files and found the service manual for you.
                        I tryed to upload the file here but no sucess so I used Google drive to upload the file and make it public (but only for who have the link)
                        Download it please.

In the future I'll remove the link/file.

Good luck with your yami 130

Greating seasons for you and yours.

Comment

Hi Almetelo,
                          Thanks. I have downloaded it and saved it in my Yamaha file. Thanks again for this. You really are a star! I wish you the best over the festive season. I'll let you know how it goes when we come back on the 2nd Jan.
                          Kindest Regards,
                          Dennis. - (AKA Speedcop)

Comment

Hi All,
                            A prosperous New Year to all on the forum!
                            Almetelo, Thanks again for the service manual. I set everything up according to the specs in the manual and, guess what… My Yammie is going better now than she ever did! Starts easy, idles perfectly and goes like lightning. Fuel consumption is also improved !l
                            I am indebted to you and Rodbolt for all the help and advice.
                            Thanks again guys and I hope 2013 will bring you much joy.
                            Regards, Dennis. - (AKA Speedcop)

Comment

Hi Guys,
                              Thanks for the advice! I have found the solution to my problem (above).
                              I hung a 1 gallon can from the roof of my workshop with a hose running down to the fuel feed pipe. I disconnected the primer squeeze bulb and fed the fuel straight into the fuel line. I then bypassed the fuel pump with a short metal pipe. In other words the carbs were fed by gravity.
                              Started the motor and presto! Problem solved! I then inspected the fuel pump and found that for some reason it was leaking air and or fuel. I found this by blowing (with my mouth) into and against the non-return side of the pump. That pump is obviously allowing fuel into the block behind the carbs where it is mounted and enriching the amount of fuel to the left bank two cylinders.
                              Now my question is… do I buy a new pump, (the cost is ridiculous in South Africa), or do I fit an electronic solid state pump in the fuel line?? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
                              X