GEAR RATIO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GEAR RATIO

IS THERE DIFFERENT GEARS FOR 2001 OX66 SALTWATER SERIES 200HP 2 STROKE MOTOR. I AM PUSHING A 21FT W/A SEAPRO THAT IS SOMEWHWERE4000LBS. TOP SPEED IS ABOUT 32MPH AT 5500 RPM ITH A 17 SS PROP NEW.
    IT JUST SEEMS SLOW COMPARED TO TALKING TO OTHER PEOPLE WITH SMALLER ENGINES AND SIMILAR BOATS.
    BOTTOM IS TOTALLY CLEAN NEVER KEPT IN WATER.

Chris,
    Does not matter what the lower unit gear ratio is, you are already at the top of the max rpm range for your 200, I believe (4500-5500?).
    You might need to raise the motor a notch on the transom - with the motor WOT and trimmed out, have someone take a look at the cavitation plate. It should be riding right on top of the water surface - there should not be any water running over the top of it. Maybe your motor is mounted too low, and that is adding unwanted drag.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

do you get much water deflection out of the back of your boat/around motor when running or is it clean/smooth? besides lifting the motor a notch or 3, and an all around general prop is a 19,lil less low end but lil more top.i would try a 19-21 and when you find a happy medium you can have a prop shop adjust yours.

Comment

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSES.i had a 19 prop on but only got 4900 rpms out of it. went to the 17 ss which put me at 5500 which yes is top range. i have noticed though when trimming up the motor i can not raise it very much because then i get alot of front end bounce. i have trim tabs on but usually run them all the way up other than using 1 to stablize the boat.

Comment

What speed did you get out of the 19-pitch run? The 19 should give it a little more speed but less fuel efficient and slower take off. Are you using a speedometer or GPS to measure speed?
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

i got 500rpm more and 4 mph going from 19 aluminum
            to 17 ss wot. the boat takes off great runs great but it just tops out quickly.i have hit38 mph on the gps on flat water with no wind with normal equipment and and only 60 gallons of fuel instead of 80. iwas up against a 21ft w/a seaswirl with a
            150 2 stoke yam and he topped out at 42mph with whatever standard prop is on that motor.that motor and boat are 2002. mine are 2001.i have another guy with a cc 23ft with a 200hp suzuki with 6 guys full load of fuel and equipment and he hits 54mph. just thought i should be in the mid to upper 40s. i dont run hard in rough water but when its nice i would like to.

Comment

Working...
            X