2000 VX200TLRY Dies above 5000rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 VX200TLRY Dies above 5000rpm

Have 2000 200 hp efi above 5000 rpm motor dies after about 1/4 mile or less. no alarms no nothing, just shuts off. restarts no problem. I have cleaned VST filter( have new one on way), replaced fuel line primer bubble also, just to start. Also have new plugs to put in tomorrow. Has been starting with no problem except this past weekend it did not want to start on initial startup. but started fine rest of day( this after completing above changes, except plugs). Motor will run all day long as long as I keep it at medium speed and below 5000rpms. Have not checked low press fuel pumps yet. I did squeeze new bubble while idling and motor about died, not sure if this means anything.
    Last edited by Bradsdad; 10-15-2012, 01:30 AM. Reason: title misspell

means most likly one or more lift pumps are bad and leaking raw gas into the crankcase.
    fastest way I know to blow up a yamaha.

Comment

Are the lift pumps the same as low pressure pumps. 3 on port side of engine? These were next on my list to check. I was going to check these before taking to mechanic.

Comment

Are there anything else that it could be? can this be seen using diagnosis equipment with any certainty. I ask because money is tight, we just had new baby girl(# 2) and child care is eating up funds like crazy. Thanks in advance for time and attention rodbolt, I know you are a busy person, your intel is greatly appreciated !

Comment

think.
          nothing fuel related is monitored by the ECU.
          even the O2 sensor.
          however by squeazing the primer at idle and it causes it to run worse, your flooding the crankcase with fuel.
          bypassing the fuel induction system.
          wont show up on any diagnostics.
          from experience, sell the kids.
          my oldest is 27 my other is 22, wish I had sold them sometimes,othertimes I wish retroactive birth control wasnt against the law.
          however, learn to love both the kids and the outboard.
          nothing better than when the daughter gives you a challenge on the tube.
          she told me"you cant throw me off" I could .

Comment

Ok Thanks! I greatly apprerciate the information and your time. I believe I will keep the girls and my yamaha. I love them all ! Best motor I ever had, previously had 3 mercs and a mariner. wouldn't run anything but a yamaha anymore.Will let ya know the verdict on pumps. Again Thanks

Comment

trust me. sell the kids while they are still sellable.
              keep the motor.
              however if you keep all. maintain all.
              takes a lot of time and effort.

Comment

Your telling me, don't I know it! I had a son, he would be 27 yoa were he still here. He has moved on to next life. My 2.5 year old is new fishing partner. My fishing is my therapy, so when my motor doesn't run its rough in this neck of northwest Georgia woods. Thanks again for you time and attention, people like yourself giving of your time makes my life much simpler. And my wife thanks you, since I can be tolerated knowing my motor problem is closer to being resolved.

Comment

on the 3.1L motors, they are kinda hard on lift pumps.
                  you can replace them for about 45 each or buy the parts to rebuild them.
                  at 85$ an hour I replace them.
                  if it was mine at my time I may rebuild them.
                  vapor seperator screen needs periodic cleaning.
                  O2 sensor needs periodic cleaning and testing.
                  injector screens need periodic removal and cleaning.
                  all can be done in about 4 hours.

Comment

Thanks for the additional info on other parts. Just to let ya know you were dead on about lift pumps. I found torn inner diaphram(6E5-24411-10-00) on top pump. When I had Mercs I always rebuilt mine when possible. I may rebuild all of them this time. All other parts are in great shape inside pumps. Again Rodbolt thanks for all your help. One more question. What about the fuel that has gotten inside crankcase, will it all run out with motor tilt and trim all the way down, and is it ok to run it right after reinstalling new pumps?

Comment

it will clear itself shortly after the next restart.

Comment

Rodbolt, I want to thank you again for your help! I fixed motor friday evening had tear in top inner diaphram. I found a rebuild kit for two pumps at a neighborhood shop 20 miles away $9.00 a piece. got third one ordered. installed friday evening and put muffs on and started in driveway. Motor ran great. Had Bass Tourney Saturday, motor purred like a kitten all day. Ran Great! Thanks again for your help.

Comment

no worries.
                          one would almost think I do this for a living

Comment

Working...
                          X