Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Pump Issue? - Help / Input

Howdy.
    Took the boat out today - 90 HP 2 stroke Yamaha 2000 model. No water shooting out the cooler tube, when engine running at dock - loaded boat up and put hose and "ears" on, run engine - no water coming out little discharge tube. This particular hose was not all that high pressure, but provided lots of
    volume - which was way more than sufficient than necessary for the motor to "flush and cool" properly.

Later, pushed coat hanger in and out of outlet - didn't notice anything, put water hose and turn on water and motor - decent flow, but not great. This was at my house with high pressure and flow volume of water. When I turn the motor off, water continues to stream out for about 10 seconds, and slowly trails off to a stop. When i wait about a minute or so and turn water on without engine running, no water coming out outlet - which I believe is normal.

Any ideas? I am guessing that the impeller / cooler pump area - is letting pressurized water from hose bypass the impeller enough to shoot out - for a little while after engine stops. Does this indicate a worn out impeller / worn out water pump / seal? Could there be something clogged up? With water flowing out for a while after motor is shut off - what does that indicate?

This worked perfect about 3 weeks ago, then friend used boat last weekend. I asked if it was "peeing" good when he had it out, he said he never looked. Said he ran into some mud though. No indication of clog in little water inlet things on bottom of motor.

Thanks, Steve

Blow some compressed air into tell tail while running on hose to see if that will help move things around and clear out.

When was the last time water pump was replaced?
    replacing it every couple of years is a good idea

Comment

I blew in the telltale the same time I ran the wire in and out.

I bought the boat about 1 year ago - not sure how old the impeller is, but is seems like the problem to me - as I don't think it should allow water to bypass the impeller and discharge out the telltale - while the motor is off.

If I am correct, it indicates a warn out impeller - that can't quite get enough power to pump the water while at the dock, but also can't stop the flow under pressure from a garden hose, when the motor is off.

Thanks - your thoughts?

Steve

Comment

I would pull the lower and inspect the pump.
        my guess is that your friend started the motor out of the water.
        you will most likly find a melted housing.
        any sign of melt scraps the housing.

Comment

Might be a good idea to just go ahead and order the new water pump kit and the housing, thermostat and pressure control valve...replace it all, then you'll know what you've got going forward regarding the cooling system. It's not much of a job to replace these items on that 90HP motor. Might also invest in a Yamaha Manual for your motor....then you can study and learn how to keep it running with minimum problems! Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
          X