HARD STARTING YAMAHA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HARD STARTING YAMAHA

I HAVE A 2003 90hp. TLRB YAMAHA THAT IS VERY HARD TO START WHEN COLD. I PURCHASED THE MOTOR USED ON A 2003 SKEETER BOAT FROM A LOCAL DEALER. THE MOTOR HAS VERY LITTLE USE AND IS IN GREAT MECHANICAL CONDITION. IT HAS LESS THAN 40 HOURS USE. MY PROBLEM IS THE FIRST START OF THE DAY. I HAVE TO CRANK AT LEAST 10 TIMES IN 5-7 SECOND INTERVALS BEFORE IT WILL SPUTTER AND THEN EVENTUALLY START. ONCE STARTED AND STOPPED IT WILL CARAK ON FIRTS BUMP ALL DAY LONG. DOES ANYONE HAVE A CLUE AS TO WHAT MIGHT BE THE PROBLEM.

The 90 is cold natured but we have found that if you trim motor down all the way pump up primer bulb firm and dont give any throttle it starts up ok.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Sully,

My SX150 is the same way. One thing I have noticed is that battery condition is pretty critical to my motor starting. Even though it would spin on a slightly soft, it would not fire. Watching the battery voltage on the meter in the gas gauge would indicate around 7.2 volts when spinning. On a fully charged battery, this voltage would be up over 8 volts and the motor would fire. This is with a 600 CCA battery, which is almost twice what the service manual calls for. It might be a coincedence, or might indicate something..not sure! YMMV

Bill

Comment

Working...
      X